Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cccbax Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
    What is the difference between a Bargain And Sale Deed, and a Quitclaim? Also...
    ... can I use a Bargain and Sale Deed in Texas?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 06:44 PM
    The difference is that the grantor (person selling) in a quitclaim deed does not warrant that he or she has good title to the property. If, for example, you buy it and later find out that there was a lien attached to the property, you would be out-of-luck.

But you should purchase title insurance, which should protect you in either case. Consult a Texas attorney to be sure.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
    With a quit claim deed, the person selling the property is saying "I may or may not own the property, but whatever interest I have in it I'm selling to you. And I'm not promising that the title is clear."

With a bargain and sale deed, the person selling the property is saying "I own the property and I'm selling it to you, but I'm not promising that there are no liens on it."

With the bargain and sale deed the seller is saying they own the property. With the quit claim deed the seller is saying they MAY own the property. Neither one is promising that there are no liens.
    cccbax Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
    If a Bargain and Sale Deed doesn't say 'with covenants', it doesn't *necessarily* have any, even in regards to title. It uses somewhat different language that may IMPLY that grantor holds title, but a bargain and sale deed needn't warrant good title. This I learned from a layperson who directed me to a Texas real estate law handbook published online. And after doing quite a bit of research to learn the language used in covenants, I have to say, this is correct.

I didn't have time to do this research. It caused me to neglect my other responsibilities, which is very bad, considering what they are. But I have NO CHOICE. Period. Sad that people online would rather preach, be arrogant, and make erroneous assumptions about you based on nothing, when you are just asking simple questions out of pure need. There is no more money, so trying to find a competent lawyer instead of the incompetent rabble I've had to deal with in the past is not an option. Period.

Done. Close it, please.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
    There's a fine line that you appear to be missing here. Putting aside the issue of liens, encumbrances and clear title, the bargain and sale deed has the seller saying they own the property. If you accept a bargain and sale deed and discover later that the seller did not own the property then you may have a cause of action against them. If you accept a quit claim deed and discover later that the seller did not own the property then you have no cause of action against them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

With a 20% share in a bargain and sale deed what rights do... [ 10 Answers ]

What rights as an individual do I have with a 20% stake in selling my deceased Dad's home? It seems the (4-siblings) majority won't let me put a for sale sign on the premises or advertise it for sale, in the local papers. They are Hindering me no matter what I do.I know we all have to agree on the...

Grant, bargain, sale deed Nevada [ 3 Answers ]

In the state of NV, Washoe county: My wife executed a Grant, Bargain, Sale Deed conveying title from herself to herself, her brother, and her sister-in-law as joint tenants prior to marrying me. Her brother told her that she needed to sign the document in order to ensure that her aging mother...

What is the difference between warranty deed and a quitclaim deed. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to buy some vaccant properties from a investment company in Florida. These properties are tax deed properites they obtained from auctions. They offering me quiet claim deed in lieu of warranty deed. I am little confused to buy these property. Also I want to know, these tax deed...

Bargain & Sale Deed vs Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I own a home with my ex boyfriend. He has agreed that he wants no proceeds from the sale of the home when it is sold. I am not planning on selling for many years however I would like to get him off the deed so if he does change his mind down the road he will not be able to claim against it. Which...

View more questions Search