Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GIVIE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 07:54 AM
    How do you get a sick dog to eat or drink?
    He has been sick for two days, took him to vet who could not diagnose problem. Gave him antibiotics, pepsid and cerenia for vomiting. He was dehiderated and has lost weight. The vet was not very hopeful. He is a 10 yr old dachshund. He seems to be alert, in no apparent pain, he asks to go out side when needed, and responds to talk at him. He sleeps constantly and will not even look at food or water. How do I get him to eat or drink. He had blood tests that showed no apparent problems, is not running a fever. How long can this go on before I must consider letting him go?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
    As far as eating if he is vomiting or has diarrhea, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would worry about the water, you don't want him to get dehydrated. Try adding a little chicken stock to the water.

What all have you tried as far as food? Boiled rice and burger or chicken is a good bland diet, usually appealing to the dog and won't upset their tummies too much.
    reneeg16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 08:24 PM
    I have a 12 year old dachschund who is acting almost the same. The vets cannot seem to figure out what is wrong with him. He wasn't eating or drinking, so we went to petco to ask for some advice. They told us to buy puppy food, so we did and he ate it all up. Wet food also has water in it, which helps when they are dehydrated, but won't drink water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppie won't eat or drink and is still being sick? [ 2 Answers ]

Puppy 12 weeks won't eat or drink is being sick and just sleeps called out vet he was kept overnight and put on a drip they said he had perked up next day charged 130 pound and sented him home when home still would not eat or drink still had all the same things wrong with him am taking him back to...

Sick dog won't eat or drink. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old dog and she recently became ill.(with in the past 4 days). First she wouldn't eat and she was only drinking water. The next day she tried to eat a small amount of chicken but not much maybe a ounce; but she was still drinking water. I thought she might have had really bad worms...

Being sick but not food.. Can't eat or drink. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I was just wondering if there is anybody who may know what is wrong with my partner. Yesterday he had 1 bite of a burger then he had to run to the toilet to be sick and after felt hot. He was feeling fine before then. The thing is he's not actually throwing his food up. Its hard to explain...

What do dog eat and drink? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm doing research and I want to now what dogs can eat an drink

My dog won't eat or drink anything, what should I do. [ 5 Answers ]

His feces has no blood in it, and he hasn't threw up.

View more questions Search