Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KiSS90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Swollen corner of the right side of my mouth and cheek... HELP! What is wrong with it!
    So last night I get off the phone with my dad, and lay on the couch to watch some TV before bed.. AND BAM! My bottom right side of my mouth goes numb. It starts tingling and swelling almost immediately! At this moment, I'm freaking out of course! So I take three benedryl, and put a cold wet wash cloth on my face.. hoping to reduce the swelling, and with the benedryl-kick an allergic reactions ***.. BUT AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO WHAT? I hate nothing new, I haven't changed detergents or makeup... Worried and a little confused, I go to sleep and hope that in the morning I will wake up and the benedryl would have had time to kick in and take care of my problem. This morning, I wake up, my mouth isn't quite as swollen, but still noticeable.. What do I do? I went on Web MD and listed my symptoms.. and of course it's a great site, but I don't know what to look for. I've never had anything happen like this, and its quite scary.. Any advice, REAL ADVICE, not jokes.. would be most appreciated..
    autumn19 Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Feb 18, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Well is your gum swollen and hurting? If so put garlic inside your mouth on it. My dads gum swelled up and was hurting hin really bad and he did the garlic thing for a day or two and it went away. Good luck hope that helps
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
    The only answer is to see your doctor.

Garlic won't help, but if you're in the mood for garlic eat it. The only thing it will do is satisfy your appetite.

Feb 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
    Omg will you please stop being so rude and commenting rude things on everbodys things I comment on I'm so done with this site cause all you want to do is follow me around and be rude! How do you know it doesn't work? It worked for my dad and his girlfriends daughter. Gosh people are rude
    Pets Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by autumn19 View Post
    omg will you please stop being so rude and commenting rude things on everbodys things I comment on I'm so done with this site cause all you want to do is follow me around and be rude! how do you know it doesn't work? it worked for my dad and his girlfriends daughter. gosh people are rude
    Autumn, what you have to understand is that you're not a doctor, and even if you were you couldn't offer a diagnosis or a treatment online.

You go around telling people that they're pregnant, telling people that they have urinary tract infections, when you can't possibly know that, and you don't have the education to even guess.

We pride ourselves on giving accurate advice to the people that come to this site. If you're going to give inaccurate advice then it's up to someone to make sure that the poster is made aware of the fact that you're wrong.

I'm not following you, far from it. When I see a question that I can answer I answer it, and it just so happens that you seem to be answering the same questions I am.

It's best to stick to subjects that you know about, and you very obviously do not know anything about medical conditions, or pregnancy. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just doing my best to make sure that people get accurate advice.

Feb 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
    I'm sorry I thought you were trying to be mean. But what's the point in asking a question like this one if evefyone is just going to say the same thing ( go to the doctor)? I thought this site was about home remedies and trying to save people money. I thought rather than making everyone pay a million dollars for some meds. People could tell them home remedies to try. I thoughtthe garlic was stupid until I saw that it works. Garlic is some kind of natural medicine. Look it up
    Pets Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by autumn19 View Post
    I'm sorry I thought you were trying to be mean. but what's the point in asking a question like this one if evefyone is just gonna say the same thing ( go to the doctor)? I thought this site was about home remedies and trying to save people money. I thought rather than making everyone pay a million dollars for some meds. people could tell them home remedies to try. I thoughtthe garlic was stupid until I saw that it works. garlic is some kind of natural medicine. look it up
    The thing is, people do ask medical questions here, and we can give advice, possible things it could be. But you're putting them, and yourself, at risk if you give a definite diagnosis or treatment.

We all understand that most of the people coming here asking medical questions probably can't afford to see a doctor, but that's really the only legitimate option they have.

There are too many possibilities for the things they describe. Take this poster for instance. It could be an infection, it could be a popcorn kernel stuck in the gums causing inflammation, it could be cancer (worst case scenario). But we can't know for sure. Not even a doctor could tell the poster what's going on with just a description on the internet.

We can't put their health, their lives, at risk by guessing, or giving remedies when we're not 100% sure what's going on. If this is something serious, and I'm not saying it is, but if it is, how guilty would you feel if this poster decided to take what you said as fact, didn't see a doctor, and then found out weeks or months later that it was something serious that could have been cured had he/she gone to a doctor instead of taking your advice?

Do you understand where I'm coming from? I hope you do, and I hope you stick around, just try to remember that the people coming here are very real people, and we have to give them the best advice we possibly can, without doing more damage.

The garlic won't hurt the OP, but only a doctor can help him/her completely.

Feb 19, 2012, 05:25 PM
    OK I get what your saying I just figured they could try it first and if it doesn't help to go to a doctor. But ill just stop answering and just ask.
    Maob812 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
    It could be(and sort of sounds like) bells palsy.. See a dr especially for the numbness. You could new at risk for choking if your gag reflex is numbed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swollen labia on one side.. And vaginal discharge. What's wrong with me? [ 0 Answers ]

I just got off my period like 2 days ago and this morning I woke up and I had an itch down there so I rubbed it but it didn't go away. I also noticed it is swollen.. I put hydrocortizone cream and the itch went away but its still swollen. I also have a discharge problem. I'm always leaking and have...

Swollen Cheek in 4 1/2 month old [ 3 Answers ]

Today I noticed that my son's eye didn't look like it was shut as much as the other when he was looking down. Then I realized that it was the bottom lid that wasn't closing as much. I pointed it out to my husband when he got home and we both realized that his cheek is slightly swollen. I'm not sure...

Swollen Mass On CHEEK [ 1 Answers ]

I have a like a quarter sized of inflamed and slightly pink mass what it is it? I think I may be allergic to benzoyl peroxide? HelPP me pleasee :confused::eek::eek::eek::eek: also its kind of sensitive to touch. :eek:

Puppy and swollen cheek [ 4 Answers ]

4mo old brittany spaniel. Woke up this am and she has a swollen lower lip toward the joint. She loves to chew fire wood. Should I be real concerned? She is still eating and drinking just calmer than usual.

View more questions Search