Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    copywright06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
    Landlord is roommate, I want to move out
    My landlord is my roommate. Due to us not getting along and her being verbally abusive I would like to leave. The lease is one sentence and states that I will rent the other bedroom from Aug 1, 2011 to July 31, 2011. The dates in the year are clearly wrong, but I don't think that's enough to void the contract. I have a verbal contract with her to already end the lease early June 1. Also, last fall, she moved her boyfriend in without my permission for 2-3 months. I have another apartment that I can move into now, and I can give her 15 days notice. I just do not want to be stuck paying double rent until June. I have not mentioned moving out even earlier to her, so she may be fine with it. I'm just preparing myself for possible legal action. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2012, 07:59 AM
    She is the landlord, She does not need your permission to move her boyfriend in.

You are obligated to pay until July 31 or until she finds a replacement. However, she would have to sue you to recover.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    She is the landlord, She does not need your permission to move her boyfriend in.

You are obligated to pay until July 31 or until she finds a replacement. However, she would have to sue you to recover.
    All this is true. But I would pose the question of what constitues a "replacement". Normally, a replacement would be someone to lease an apartment for a period. In OP's situation however, it is not an apartment but a room plus shared space. It is arguable that the boyfriend constitutes such "replacement", because he uses the share space, whether he actually pays her rent.

Also, in a roommate sutuation such as this, the common (or shared) space is a significant part of the deal. If there is a third person brought into the premises, it is arguable that the landlady has breached the lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
    The boyfriend moving in appears to have been temporary and he no longer is there. If she moves him back in, that could be considered a replacement.

Feb 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Thank you for your answers! The boyfriend was temporary, he is now gone. Although I will suggest for him to be a replacement when I leave. I do think that moving a third person into a two bedroom situation constitutes as breaking a two bedroom lease.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by copywright06 View Post
    Thank you for your answers! The boyfriend was temporary, he is now gone. Although I will suggest for him to be a replacement when I leave. I do think that moving a third person into a two bedroom situation constitutes as breaking a two bedroom lease.
    It would, but I failed to notice earlier that he is not there anymore. So, in effect, you waived her violation of the lease by failing to object at the time. It prbably cannot be grounds for "breaking" the lease now, after that breach has been remedied (by his moving out).

Feb 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
    Unfortunately she did not give me enough time or notice to move out. She told me the day he moved in and that it was temporary and was supposed to last 1-2 weeks, in actuality in took up over 3 months. He's been gone a little over a month now, but I think I should have gotten enough time to look and find somewhere else, even if he has "moved out".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SC: Landlord/Roommate situation [ 15 Answers ]

I have an unfortunate situation where the "landlord" is also a long-distance roommate of sorts. We have a 12-month lease - utilizing a standard SC rental agreement form. However, less than 2 weeks of moving there, she has texted, called, facebooked, etc. Repeatedly with back and forth desires...

Is it a breach of lease if landlord can't move you in on move in date? [ 5 Answers ]

I signed a lease to move in on July 1st, and today, June 27th, he calls me and tells me I won't be able to move in until at least July 4th. I have already paid him the deposit, and can't stay at my current place past the first without paying an additional months rent. I also have items I purchased...

Landlord/Roommate situation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and I own a condo. I took in a roommate since April 2007 to help with my expenses. She signed a l12-month lease. There has been some tension these past few months. She has access to everything except my bedroom and my bathroom; she has her own bedroom and...

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Landlord as Roommate - Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have a house that I decided I needed to share by renting a room in the house. I had a roommate move in as the "Tenant" in my home and requested that they sign a lease for a 6 month lease. After three months, I have decided that this is not a compatible living situation. He has insulted or imposed...

View more questions Search