Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjjacobs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
    How do I find out who carried my daughter on their income taxes without my permission
    Some carried my daughter on their taxes without my permission, how do I find out who it is, and about how long does it take
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
    You CANNOT find out, not from the IRS.

What you need to do is file your own return and claim your daughter. If the efile gets rejected, mail the return. The IRS will then contact YOU and the person who claimed your daughter and ask for proof that she is your valid dependent.

Once you provide this proof, the IRS will then credit YOUR return for her exemption, and then DISALLOW the exemption on the other person's tax return.

You will NEVER find out from the IRS who claimed your daughter due to privacy laws, and the states usually protect the privacy of the state taxpayers with equal zeal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
    ATE is right, but think about it. How many people know your daughter's social security number?
    cgraham20583 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
    I would just like to add to the question... I just go married and filed jointly with my husband and found out when my efile go kicked back that her father had claimed her and has been claiming her for the last couple of years. Now this was news to me because she has never stayed more than a couple of days with him, much less 6 months and a day. Moreover, I have been claiming head of household every year and she has always been listed as my dependent with no problem. So what has been happening and what will happen to him, if anything, when I submit the proper paper work ( mail taxes and form 3949a)?
    p.s I was PISSED!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
    The IRS will audit his past returns, recalculate without the deduction and Billy him for what he owes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I leave my daughter with my mother without permission [ 4 Answers ]

If I leave my daughter with my mother without permission can she file child abandonment charges against me?

How can I find out if someone else claimed my daughter on there taxes fast? [ 3 Answers ]

I think someone stole the money I deserve. The money I got back from my taxes just does not make sense... :confused:

401k withdrawal tax consequences vs. Other losses carried over prior year taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm assuming that on the 401K withdrawal, a certain amount of taxes is taken out up front when the disbursement is made to me (maybe the 10%, or maybe the 27% or whatever my tax bracket might be). In any case, is there a chance that losses carried over from prior year taxes could help offset the...

How can I find out who carried my child on their income taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Who carried my child on income taxes

Daughter sent out of the country without mothers permission by father! [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I got a divorce in 97' in our divorce it was agreed upon that we had joint custody. Our three children would reside with me and visit there father on weekends, Muslim holidays, every other Christmas, and six weeks out of the summer, any changes in addresses, phones numbers, etc....

View more questions Search