Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    74fordson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Can I claim my disabled wife on my taxes?
    My wife and I have not lived together as husband and wife in almost 3 yrs.She is disabled and receives SSI.We r still married ,but I live in the Upstairs portion of the house with my 72 yr old dad and she lives in the downstairs portion of the house with our 2 daughters.Both portions of the house have a kitchen ,living area ,bathroom and bedrooms. I know I can claim my daughters.My question is if I can claim my wife.I give her child support as well as keeping her on my auto ins.Is it OK to claim her on my taxes.she does not file taxes and with the child support and car ins I pay more than half of her living expenses.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 02:18 PM
    What was your filing status for your 2006 tax return? Did you file as Head of Household?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
    You can file either Married Filing Jointly (which will require her cooperatuon) or Married Filing Separately, unless you are considered unmarried, in which case you can file Single.

MukatA is correct: we need to know how you filed in 2006.
    mmforever Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2012, 05:33 AM
    My wife receives ssi disability but we are no longer together , so how should I file my income tax ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
    If you can file jointly, and you will need her signature, that is the BEST option.

If joint is NOT possible, and you KNOW that she will not be filing, you can claim your wife's exemption on your MFS return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment/disabled wife [ 3 Answers ]

:eek: I have a summons for Regular Garnishment, in the state of Georgia. The first file date was 2000 JAN 15, the second file date was 10 JAN 2008. Is there a time limit on the file dates? They have put a lien on my bank account, I have a disabled wife at home and no money. Is there any way I can...

Can I claim my disabled girlfriend? [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend received her benefits starting jan 07 back dated to may 06. So she was considered disabled for the entire year. During which she was living with me most of the time and I provided more than half of her living expenses. Can I claim her as a dependent and take head of house hold as well?

How do I claim tax refund on 401K distribution by 60 year old disabled person [ 3 Answers ]

At the age of sixty, and on SSD, I asked for 401K distribution. 20% was withheld. Do I file standard 1040 to get refund? I read somewhere that I should not owe this tax because of disability. I read the tax form 5329, and it does not seem to be for me. Help! Bipity123

Can I claim Excemption for my Wife in 1040NR? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I and my wife arrived in USA for the first time on 14th July 2007. So I will be NRA for the year 2007 in US. I am on L1B visa and my wife is on L2 visa. My Wife got EAD to work in USA on 1st Oct 2007. My questions are: 1. Can I file 1040 form instead of 1040NR as I am an Indian and USA...

How to claim my thai wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a natural born citazin and my wife is thai. She doesn't have a SSN # yet.She has been here in the states with me for 8 months. My question is how do I claim her on my tax return to get the best deduction? Thank you Gre4gg Blevins US navy

View more questions Search