Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluebird_96 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 01:59 AM
    Nissan altima 96 engine check light?
    I have a 96 Altima/Bluebird U13.
    My engine check light is on then I start my car and the light goes off. The car idles rough and low like its wanting to stall. Sometimes the car cranks but won't start and then it all of a sudden starts but wants to stall. If I try and drive the car ut will go for a few minutes and then stall. I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, I checked the voltage of the MAF and it reads fine. I replaced the ignition coil and ignition leads. I took off the distributor cap and there is no sign of dirt or oil. I checked my fuses and I replaced the fuel filter. So I'm wondering what it could be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM). Easy job.

Feb 7, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Thanks for the help! I will try that and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Feb 16, 2012, 04:39 AM
    I replaced the ICM with a brand new Bosch one and I still have the same problem with the car. Any ideas on what else it could be. I'm willing to try anything at this stage as it's really getting to me.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2012, 04:53 AM
    Bluebird, have you checked for any codes?

Feb 17, 2012, 05:30 AM
    I haven't yet only because I'm running a piggyback system to my ECU and I'm not sure how it will affect the codes. But I think I will have to give it a go.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Sounds like it could also be a vacuum leak.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
    I thought it was smart that you focused on the MAF Sensor. That could still be the problem. Make sure the seal between the sensor and the air intake is good--replace any gasket, if necessary. Make sure everything is tight. My experience has been that it's best to replace MAF Sensors, rather than clean them, around 130,000 miles. You might get by with cleaning them before that mark once; after that, success is limited. My gut is now that the MAF Sensor needs replacing and is the problem.

If the problem persists:

Check for hard and soft codes. Over the years, I have seen many problems with Camshaft Position Sensors and Crankshaft Position Sensors on Nissans. Since your Altima only has a Crankshaft Position Sensor, I would check/replace it. If the problem persists, I would check/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor.

Feb 21, 2012, 03:53 AM
    Well I found out it's not the Air Flow Meter. I have no spark so it has to be the distibutor right? Because I replaced the coil and leads. That's the first thing I should have tested. I only replaced the distibutor a couple of years ago, very annoying.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 06:31 AM
    A bad Crankshaft Position Sensor would prevent it from sparking.

Mar 7, 2012, 02:32 AM
    Yep! I replaced the distributor and the car runs perfect. Problem solved.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 Nissan Altima Search Engine Soon Light [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 96 Nissan Altima with a mileage of 130,000. The Search Engine Soon light is on last night, so I check with AutoZone today, the wrong code is PO325 and PO420, representing knock sensor and oxygen sensor respectively. The light was on once three years before and I have changed the Oxygen...

1999 Nissan Altima Check Engine Light [ 4 Answers ]

Check Engine light came on in my car a few months ago and then went off. It has been back on for the past few weeks but don't notice anything wrong with the car. The only thing is the defrost seems to be off when it is humid causing car to fog up inside more than usual. Took car to AutoZone and guy...

Engine light on a 99 nissan Altima gxe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 99 Nissan Altima; I recently washed the engine because it was leaking oil from the gasket that covers the head by the spark plugs. I changed the gasket, the plugs; dry the entire engine including the distib. Cap, and now I have the engine light that reads ENGINE SERVICE SOON. What might...

99 Nissan Altima Check Engine Light [ 1 Answers ]

The Service Engine Soon light just came on in my 99 Altima. The brief history: I recently had a water pump go bad that led to a cracked head that led to the car being in the shop for a month. I got the car back, working fine, but took it for its yearly inspection. (at that time the light was NOT...

View more questions Search