Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabatino Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
    How do I get custody of my 3 grandchildren? Please someone help me!
    I have three beautiful grandchildren that don't deserve the life my daughter and her husband have given them. I understand that there are many children in our country in the same situation. My daughter had her first child at the age of 17 and when my granddaughter was born there were opiate's and barbiturate's in her system, CPS stepped in and were going to allow the three of them to move with me (mom aka grandma) but the parents did not want to move to Texas where I live(they lived in Northern California) therefore CPS made them take parenting classes etc. My daughter and the father got married shortly thereafter. During this time both of the parents were continuously smoking marijuana with the baby in the same room, my oldest daughter was always babysitting because my daughter couldn't handle the crying. My daughter came to Texas to visit me and then decided that she wanted to live in Texas, she spoke with her husband and he refused to move here. Needless to say my daughter left back to California and left my granddaughter with me for almost two months while she partied and attempted to convince her husband to move to Texas. Well as they lived in Texas they started using cocaine as well as marijuana and the father attempted suicide twice because all they ever did was fight! I get a phone call one day asking if I would go and get their stuff from their apartment because they had left the state and were moving to Oregon. There is so much that happened in between everything else. My daughter became pregnant again and had another beautiful baby girl. They are living on my daughters SSI and welfare, they are constantly borrowing money and food and using anyone and everyone they come across. By this time they have moved many times. The children always had a rash and were dirty and the house was filthy! She became pregnant again and had a baby boy. They moved to Texas claiming they wanted a fresh start and what actually happened they had burned all of their bridges with everyone in California! They rented a little house for 300 a month and instead of paying their electricity they were buying drugs and the children were still filthy as well as the home. The electricity was turned off. My oldest granddaughter started kindergarten at that point and she was in that school for 1 week, they moved out to the families trailer which we told them they had to pay 100 a month and they could only stay out there for about 3 months max because it belonged to the family as a weekend getaway! Now note this is my granddaughters second school! They couldn't do that. Next thing my daughter is having an affair on her husband she kicks him and the children out to live with us and then both of the parents sign over temporary custody of all three of the children to us while they get to play and make a special appearance on the Steve Wilkos show! They decided to get back together, they conned a landlord into letting them rent an apartment then CPS became involved and they failed a drug test, they were given 30 days to get clean and they day before CPS was to take them for another drug test they up and moved to Shreveport Louisiana where they knew no one and were homeless. We visited the home they finally rented and OMG it was horrible and again the kids were filthy and again this was the third school for my granddaughter. My daughter had gotten a truancy letter from the school so she decided to remove my granddaughter and tell the school she was moving to California! (not true) CPS became involved again and they were to take another drug test and they up and left the day before and showed up at our home in Texas. They stayed with us for about 6 weeks and the only thing they seem to feed the children is microwavable food on their time and when they aren't fighting! The baby always had a rash and they also sold their food stamps and the children were looked like trashy kids unless I ( grandma ) took care of them! CPS became involved again and placed the children in our custody the parents failed another drug test and were to complete classes etc... 2 weeks later CPS made us give the children back to the parents even though the parents were homeless and had signed into a homeless shelter all because they didn't want to do the paperwork! They all went back to California and then my daughter left her husband and had another affair and stayed drunk and high all of the time! I have many witnesses as to the condition of the children and the home! My daughter and the children left and came back to Texas, now note this will be school # 6 in Texas and my daughter has now gone through 4 other men and we have been caring for the children while she gets drunk sells her food stamps and refuses to get up in the morning and take care of her children! She has now decided to get back with her husband and now she and the kids are going to move back to California as soon as she gets her taxes which she filed with someone she just met so she can get money! We are the only stability that the children know and we are really scared for their well being! We have our Pastor,his wife the day care worker at church, teachers, friends and many other people that will testify to everything and more! Please we just want them to have a stable home and a chance at life! Please understand that my daughter and her husband have also committed burglary and theft as well and they get away with everything! I pray that someone can help us! These beautiful babies deserve a chance at life!
    nicky420 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2012, 04:49 AM
    I really don't know why you're having any problem getting custody! How this is being treated is ridiculous. Ok well if you haven't already, you need to file for custody and prove that she is an unfit parent, which shouldn't be a problem. You should get a lawyer just in case you need a bit of help, but you need to tell the judge EVERYTHING you wrote in your post. You need to point out that they failed their drug tests and have purposely left before all their other ones, that the children are certainly not taken care of and that you're afraid for their survival. You SERIOUSLY need make sure you tell the judge everything they have done, it's very important. Another thing is that if your daughter in requested to show up at court for this and she doesn't, she can get in A LOT of trouble and it will be that much easier for the judge to rule the sentence in your favor. The reason why your daughter is given so many chances is because the children being taken away from their parents is always the very last resort when it comes to these things. CPS wants to give the parents a chance to clean themselves up and refrain from taking the children unless it's absolutely nesesary. But from reading this, CPS is definitely NOT doing their job. Get yourself a lawyer and fight for those kids, they deserve a real family. Good luck with everything.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2012, 04:57 AM
    Here is the real problem. They keep running away leaving CPS with no jurisdiction over them. So the local CPS has to get involved and that means starting a new case.

So before they move again, you need to file in TX for a temporary emergency guardianship so you can keep them with you and prevent her from taking them back to CA. Because, if she is able to leave the state again, CA CPS will then have to get involved.

I would get an attorney and file immediately.

Feb 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
    Thank you both very much and yes I have to do something now because we just found out that she is leaving for California next Wednesday. She has already checked my oldest granddaughter out of school.
    I'm trying honestly! I just can't afford an attorney!
    Thank you again and God Bless
    krafteame Posts: 48, Reputation: 11

Feb 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
    First you must sit down and make out a coherent, accurate log. Starting at the beginning. This will give a attorney or anyone else you need to show a clear picture of the situation. Next I would go to the courthouse and file and emergency custody order. You must state that the children are in danger and why and what your fears are for the children, exspecially if they are able to leave the state. Does either one have any outstanding warrents on them anywhere? Felony warrents are best. If they do you may be able to have them arrested and then come forward as the grandparents to take custody. While you have them file for custody. I think part of the problem is you are trying to get custody through children's services and they are just to overworked and understaffed to really do what needs to be done. You need your own attorney. Please let us know how this goes. I hope I have been some help. I do understand how you feel. I had to step forward and take my grandaughter for my only daughter. I have had my grandaugher since she was 2 1/2, she is 12 now. God bless and good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2012, 04:02 AM
    Check with local laws schools. Some have clinics that can help you prepare paperwork and strategy.

Feb 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Thank you so much! I will do everything to protect my grand babies!
    God Bless

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get custody of my grandchildren [ 3 Answers ]

I have twin grandaughters, 3 yrs old. Paternity established and my daughter lets them go to the fathers every other week for a week at a time but no "visitation order" established (he has 9 kids to count.father owes more than $10,000 in child support for just the twins alone! Not to mention the...

Custody of grandchildren [ 7 Answers ]

HELP!! I want to know if there is any possible way I can get custody of my grandchildren. We live in Indiana and they are 12 and 9. They are both boys and they stay with us a lot. They spend almost every weekend with us and always have. Their parents are a mess. My daughter, after spendind 45...

Custody of Grandchildren [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to know if my daughter will ever get her children back?

How to Gain Custody of My Grandchildren [ 1 Answers ]

I have been caring for my two olest grandchidlren all of their lives. My daughter had four other children by her now boyfriend. He manipulted my daughter to bring hismother into the home. My two older grandchildren are being treated bad by her. The boyfriend does disgusting things around...

Custody for my grandchildren [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a court date next month for I'm taking my son and his girlfriend there so I can go for custody of the children the ages are 13 month and 2 month old .Does anyone know how I would have to go about to prove unfit. They live with my daughter in a 3 bdrm trailer and she has her own family as...

View more questions Search