Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstankie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
    Hunter ceiling fan light bulbs pulse faintly
    Light worked fine initially, but now when I turn on the light, the bulbs faintly pulse on and off until eventually fading out completely. Any idea how to fix this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Does this fan have a remote, pull chains, dimmer or what?

Nov 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
    Thanks, but I did some further research after I posted my question and discovered that the "governor" was the problem. I bypassed it and light is working fine.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Whoa! You should not make unapproved modifications to any electrical/electronic devices.

First, because you have changed the configuration from what the original design called for. Second you may now have introduced a condition that could lead to a fire.

If this fan is still within the warranty, return the fan to your point of purchase.

Nov 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
    Governor, what are you calling a governor? No such thing, do you mean a capacitor?

Nov 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Guys -

Just Google hunter ceiling fan and blinking lights and multiple people discuss it and how to fix it. It is a small black box for the lights. If lights blink on and off, it is the watt governor causing this. Just remove governor and wire lights direct. Part # 98480-02.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
    Go Here: A picture, too

http://www.fixya.com/support/t3831943-fan_lights_just_started_blinking

Nov 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Here is what you get when googling hunter ceiling fan blinking lights Hunter (25417) Ceiling Fan - Light blinking issues Just more of what we are doing here at AMHD. Same with the link in#7. If doesn't return to answer our questions its moot.
    l29600 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 12:21 AM
    I had called Hunter explained my "blinking lights" and was told I needed a light kit to fix problem.
    Ordered light kit, installed it,(all it basically did was change the lights from candelabra to regular
    Bulbs) and they still blinked! Got online and found this and several sites that explained that the problem was the watts governor part 98084-02, my son removed the offending part and voilą it works! Thanks so much for helping me.
    Gayle S Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 03:09 PM
    My lights were not flashing but after a bulb blew I was unable to turn off my lights with the pull chain. The problem also turned out to be the watt governor. Hunter Fan wanted $45 + shipping for a new light kit. Told them I'd fix it myself.
    My governor had two white, which I cut from the governor and connected together.
    Two blue that went to the pull chain switch which I disconnected and I discarded the blue wires with the governor
    One red -I connected to a black from the pull chain
    One black - I connected to the other black from the pull chain
    I also switched out the pull chain to a new one. The original chain was meant to use as a dimmer also, which we never used. It did not have that "click" sound when pulled. The new one works great.
    I did all this while my husband sat back and watched with amazement! :)
    rmax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2014, 10:37 AM
    Why not replace the "governor"? Obviously it had a purpose for being there, and nobody here has given me any explanation of why it could or should be "safely" eliminated or bypassed?

Oct 9, 2014, 05:41 PM
    This post was started 3 years ago and at that time we pointed out there is not such thing as a governor in a fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a hunter ceiling fan & light control to operate my fan w/light [ 3 Answers ]

I just replace my kitchen light with a new ceiling fan w/light. I now was going to try to install my hunter ceiling fan & light control switch. The switch has a black, blue and red wire w/green ground. The wall outlet has a black, red and white wire with ground. I just wasn't sure which wires...

Changing light bulbs in Hunter Bay ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

Need to find light bulbs for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

Please,where can I order light bulbs for my Hampton Bay ceiling fan? #FSP13EL

Hunter ceiling fan- new light bulbs don't work [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone help me? We are trying to replace the bulbs on our ceiling fan/light. The bulbs that came out were 120v/60w torchierre style. Same thing that I replaced them with. The new bulbs fit perfectly and are a perfect match to the old ones. Problem is that the lights won't turn on. The fan...

Ceiling Fan Light Bulbs? [ 4 Answers ]

I was reading the specifications for some fans, and it stated it requires standard base fan bulbs. Are "standard base fan bulbs" medium base, or are they Candelabra bulbs? Thanks, Brian

View more questions Search