Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smscsuan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 10:21 AM
    How do I fill a existing fish pond hole/escavation?
    I want to remove an existing fish pond and fill it in so that the space can be used for normal landscaping in my back yard. The pond is approximately 18 ' long and the widest area is approximately 8' wide. The pond is about 3'deep at the widest area and approximately 2 1/2' deep at the other end. Approximately 2000 gallons, shaped sort of like a foot print. How do I fill it in with dirt. Gravel, rocks? Thanks.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 02:28 PM

Fill with dirt. Tamp every 3 to 6 inches of dirt to keep compressing at a minimum. Fill slightly above grade for sinking.

Chuck

Apr 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Fill with dirt. Tamp every 3 to 6 inches of dirt to keep compressing at a minimum. Fill slightly above grade for sinking.

Chuck
    I don't need to fill between layers with gravel? It's around three feet deep. Thanks.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 09:35 PM

If u use gravel, over time soil will seep into air gaps in gravel and the area will get a depression. U can use any excavated soil. Does not have to be free of rocks.

Chuck

Apr 29, 2010, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    If u use gravel, over time soil will seep into air gaps in gravel and the area will get a depression. U can use any excavated soil. Does not have to be free of rocks.

Chuck
    Thank you for the answers and quick responses. I'll give it a shot. :)
    sigelgolfer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
    The only to fill in a pond is to channel the water away from the filled in pond. Unless you filled in the pond with a garden hose and there is no storm water running into the pond, you will have to make sure the water goes somewhere. The runoff does not know you filed in the pond and it will keep on coming. You need to install a French Drain with 4" or larger perforated piping to catch the water and let iot gop into the street or somewhere.
    sigelgolfer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Unless you originally filled in the pond with a garden hose and there is no storm water runoff keeping it filled, you will have to install French Drains from the filled in pond to a suitable exit such as a pipe foing into the street. The French Drain is a one foot trench filled with modified stone and a 4 inch plastic perforated pipe on top of the stone and then the pipe is covered witjh stone level with the ground. Eventually, dirt will go between the stomnes and vegetation will grow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pond fish hiding [ 2 Answers ]

My pond is clean, temperatures are good, plants are doing great and all the fish look very healthy. I have a large tera cotta pot on the bottom of the pond, that has been there for years. For the last week one big white fish (comet about 11") has been hanging out in the pot, all the other fish...

Does a biological media fish pond filter(without mechanical media)keep a pond clean? [ 1 Answers ]

Does a biological media fish pond filter (without any mechanical media) really keep a fish pond clean? I know that they keep the water healthy but I am having trouble believing that it will filter out small enough particles to keep it really clean. I have one in mind to buy that has a built in...

How to clean pond with fish still in [ 4 Answers ]

I need to get the skum out of the bottom of my pond, but I have no where to put the fish, so I'm thinking vacuuming is out of the question. Does anyone have any good ideas? It's only about 500 gallons and the water is clean, but I can see accumulated debris at the bottom.

How many koi fish to put in a pond? [ 5 Answers ]

SOMEONE HELP! I am getting a koi fish pond in New England I am having difficulty figuring out how many koi fish to put in the pond I have looked in the interent but there really isent any answer I don't want to overcrowd the fish but I also want to keep them from growng to big (about 6") The...

View more questions Search