Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxkid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 09:54 AM
    State Taxes for Indian F1 Student
    I was on an F1 visa in 2011 pursuing my post-graduate degree in Pittsburgh. During the summer, I worked in New York for 10 weeks on F1-CPT. I was however residing in New Jersey.

1) Should I file Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh city taxes as I have never earned wages in Pittsburgh?

2) If so, am I a resident / non-resident of Pennsylvania as I am an international student?

3) Pennsylvania has a reciprocal agreement with New Jersey. Would this help me in any way? Am I a resident / non-resident of New Jersey?

4) Should I even file New Jersey Taxes or stick to NY taxes as a non-resident and get exemption for NY city tax?

4) What other state taxes must I file?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
    Your F-1 status makes you NON-resident in all three states.

Since no money was earned in Pittsburgh, no city or PA state return is required.

You DO need to file NJ and NY returns, but the tax credit you will get for paying NY state tax will completely offset any NJ tax.

If you want my professional help, you can find my email address in my profile.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 04:42 AM
    You worked in NY so you must file NY tax return. You do not pay NY city tax as you did not live in the city. Also international students are nonresidents for the purpose of city tax.
    You lived in NJ so you will also file NJ tax return if your income is more than the NJ filing requirement. Also claim credit for taxes paid to NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for Indian student on CPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hi experts, I am an Indian student on F1 visa enrolled in a program in Florida, I ve been here for a year and now I have moved to NYC for an intern (on a CPT now for next 7-8 months), what kind of taxes do I have to pay? And of what state do I claim residency for NY or FL(if any)? Thank you...

Out of State College student confused on state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am from Buffalo, NY but am currently going to college full time in PA. In 2008 I was employed at home and then when I went to college I got a job in PA. I have 3 w-2's (one from NY and 2 from PA). This is the first time I have ever filed state taxes and am not sure what to do. I...

F-1 Student State taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Are F-1 students considered non-residents for state tax purposes as well? I know we will either fill 1040NR or NR-EZ for federal. I came to US(from India) in Aug 2007 in NC on f-1 visa. Completed my internship in NJ(June-Aug 2008). I graduated in Sept and started working on OPT in NJ...

Indian - OPT - State change - Student loan Claim [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, To any one answering these 3 question, I would appreciate it as it is of immense significance to me, I am late filing Taxes for 2006. Thank you :) Questions for 2006 TAX return F1 - 12/20/03 - 1/15/07 OPT - 1/15/06 - 1/15/07 - total W2 income $ 11600 (only income in 2006) Q1) I...

1099 taxes for Indian F1 student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert Thank you in advance for your time. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping everyone out. I am currently an undergraduate student, on an F-1 Visa. I am studying in MA and am a citizen of India. I arrived in the US on August 2003. Starting from my freshman...

View more questions Search