Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karlhoch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 11:08 AM
    My girlfriend wanted a break!
    Ok so here's the story me and my girlfriend have been together for about 9 months and it's the best relationship of my life we're bestfriends do everything together exc. Perfect relationship I never had a complaint. Perfect girl for me the whole nine yards. Recently (last month or 2) she's been depressed and suicidal. A week ago she said she needed time alone, wants to be independent, and her main issue is she wants to be able to be happy without me. I just think she's very confused and slightly bored. I haven't spoken a word to her in almost a week because I told her to go ahead let's take a break but no contact. My question is should I contact her and see how she's doing and talk about the situation, or should I not contact her at all and wait to come back?! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated the reason I encouraged the break even though the thought of it ruined my life is bbecause I've been reading on this site and everyone keeps saying trying to desperately hole on pushes her away!
    Khepry_01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2012, 01:07 PM
    I know what your going through, a few months ago my girlfriend and I took a break as she was going through a lot and didn't want me to get dragged down with her. The entire time we were apart, I did everything I could to get her back, and kept saying 'I love you and we will get through this together'
    After a month we got back together and things have been beautiful since
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Feb 8, 2012, 06:28 PM
    she said she needed time alone, wants to be independent, and her main issue is she wants to be able to be happy without me. I just think she's very confused and slightly bored
    This is what she wants and you need to respect that. Don't bug her. You go on with your life as she will go on with hers.
    To bug and beg someone one who says they want to be happy without you is being desperate and that is not attractive. Don't contact her, leave her alone. Respect her wishes
    youradvisor1 Posts: 31, Reputation: 12

Feb 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
    "Any and all advice is greatly appreciated the reason I encouraged the break even though the thought of it ruined my life is bbecause I've been reading on this site and everyone keeps saying trying to desperately hole on pushes her away!"

Whenever someone says that a single person could ruin their life I immediately question the health of a relationship. I believe it's perfectly natural to feel sad at the possibility of an ending but to feel that dependent on another soul to fulfill your life is seriously going to lead you to heart break. If you live a well rounded, balanced life you'll never let someone have that affect on you. Cut all contact and assume that the relationship is over for good. I know this is a harsh statement but why cling on to something that may never be. She ended it and although it hurts like hell the best thing you can do is force her to accept that decision. Can you trust that she won't pull this "I need a break" crap again. I'm telling you as someone that has done the breaking up if she did it once and you get back together the likelihood of her breaking up with you again is very high. The reason for dissatisfaction will always remain and the only reason she'll return is because she still loves you. That being said the other issues that caused her to end things will probably remain present and history will repeat itself. Take a lesson from someone that has been down this road and ended the relationship. I only went back because I still loved him however all the reasons for ending things surfaced again and I had to say goodbye for a second time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Break ups suck, no doubt. But its better to accept it, and give them what they asked for, and rebuild your life while you get your own hurt feelings under control, and stick with NO CONTACT. Its still going to be really hard for a while, but once you turn that corner of acceptance through healing properly, few have time to look back with regret. WHY? Because a proper healing will bring better options, and opportunities to be happy, and old feelings and memories will be replaced by new activities, and experiences. You will get there eventually if you stay on the path, and thrive and survive like the rest of us have.

Some more than others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend wanted a break [ 6 Answers ]

So about 3 weeks ago my girlfriend wanted a break, we are together about one and a half year. She is my first girlfriend, and I am her second. We were mostly happy and get along pretty well. But then she told me she wanted a break, at first I took well. But at home I thought more about it, and I...

Girlfriend wanted a break and needs time to think [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 and my girlfriend is 20 almost 21. We have been dating for almost three years. Roughly five days ago, she called me in the morning and informed me that at a party the previous night before, she got extremely drunk and made out with a guy. She called immediately and confessed to it and...

My girlfriend wanted a break. How long should I wait before I contact her? [ 25 Answers ]

I just found this site and I appreciate any advice I can get. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 1/2 years. We met through my cousin, her best friend, when she was 19 and I was 23 and I fell so hard I told her to move in with me and so we've been living together for pretty much the whole time....

My girlfriend wanted a break? [ 3 Answers ]

I was with my girlfriend for 3 and a half years. We started with the games cause she was so hard to get. I played it very cool for a while and didn't answer my phone all the time. I worked in the evening which meant I only see her late when I would go stay at her house. This was all going well but...

View more questions Search