Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 01:19 AM
    Problem: find the largest area of a rectangle inscribed in an equilateral triangle
    Find the dimensions of the rectangle with the largest area that can be inscribed in an equilateral triangle of side 5.5 inches if one side of the rectangle lies on the base of the triangle.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Given an equilateral triangle with legs of length L and unknown angle between each leg and the triangle's base, you can set up an equation that correlates the area of the reactangle to the point measured along the leg where the rectangle's corner touches - call this distance x from the base. The base of the triangle has length . The height of the rectangle is then , and its width is . So the area of the rectangle is:

Take the derivative of A with respect to x, and set to zero to find the value for x that gives a maximum for A. When you do this - what happens to the terms?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Given an equilateral triangle with legs of length L and unknown angle between each leg and the triangle's base, you can set up an equation that correlates the area of the reactangle to the point measured along the leg where the rectangle's corner touches - call this distance x from the base. The base of the triangle has length . The height of the rectangle is then , and its width is . So the area of the rectangle is:

Take the derivative of A with respect to x, and set to zero to find the value for x that gives a maximum for A. When you do this - what happens to the terms?
    EB, you answered a more difficult question than the OP asked. :)

The triangle is equilateral, not just isosceles, so you automatically DO know the angle . Doesn't change the answer, of course; it just simplifies it a little.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaron2 View Post
    The triangle is equilateral, not just isosceles.
    You're right! My mistake comes from typing the answer before I finished reading the question... Thanks!

BTW, it turns out that for an isocoles triangle it doesn't mater what that angle theta is - the point x is always in the same place to maximize the area of the rectangle. Maybe that's beyond the scope of the homework problem, but it's an interesting phenomenon.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 6, 2012, 03:24 PM
    I had never thought about that either until I saw your answer. It makes sense though. If you take any isosceles triangle with the maximum rectangle inscribed, you can scale it horizontally (i.e. stretch or squish it), and the respective areas inside and outside the rectangle will scale proportionally. Hence, the maximum rectangles of all of the stretched or squished triangles will all be stretched or squished versions of the original rectangle. The height never changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equilateral triangle circumscribed by an ellipse? [ 1 Answers ]

find the vertices of an equilaterall triangle circumscribed about the ellipse 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 144.

Largest angle in triangle? [ 2 Answers ]

A triangle has sides of length 5,6 and 7 units. Find the largest angle to the nearest minute Thanks in advance

Maximum area of a triangle inscribed in a circle, ellipse, conic section [ 1 Answers ]

A triangle inscribed in a circle has to be equilateral triangle for having maximum area ; how? What if it is an ellipse instead of a circle, or a conic section in general ?

How to find area of hexagon , when an triangle area inside it is given [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Pl help to find the area of hexagon , when equilateral triangle inside it touching the mid point of three sides is given . The area of triangle is 12 Sq.m

Math, graphing functions/domain and rectangle inscribed in a triangle q [ 3 Answers ]

domain question> http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb230/sTuKiNrEvErSe_/16.jpg triangle question> http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb230/sTuKiNrEvErSe_/untitled.jpg NOTE : PLEASE IGNORE THE NUMBER 1 MARKED ON TOP OF THE RECTANGLE IN THE TRIANGLE QUESTION (I DREW THAT). I have the domain one...

View more questions Search