Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jchoo Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Garage door opener wall mount button
    Just installed a stanley garage door opener model 810 and I tried to install the door mount button, but I'm having problems. The wall button is very similar looking like a doorbell in which I connect the 2 wires to the opener (motor). However when I connect, the door automatically opens, but when I push the wall mount nothing happens. Did I do something wrong or is there a particular wall mount push button for garages ?:confused:
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jchoo
    Just installed a stanley garage door opener model 810 and I tried to install the door mount button, but I'm having problems. The wall button is very similiar looking like a doorbell in which I connect the 2 wires to the opener (motor). However when I connect, the door automatically opens, but when I push the wall mount nothing happens. Did I do something wrong or is there a particular wall mount push button for garages ?:confused:
    The 24v power source for the switch is in the opener housing. This may be the problem area to check first by disconnecting one lead and doing a touch test here first. If the door opens and closes, then looking into the wiring and pushbutton switch is the problem. The pushbutton switch may be defective or there is a wiring connection being shorted. Disconnect the switch from the two wires and touch them together momentarily. If the door opens or closes then it is the switch. If not, there is an incorrect hookup or short.

Feb 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
    I did your recommended test and it works fine. However when I hook up the switch it just opens the door and when I press the switch nothing happens. It seems like the switch is closing the circuit and it can't be broken. Even tried another brand new switch and same problem.

FYI, the motor is 12V

Feb 26, 2007, 04:41 PM
    I did your recommended test and it works fine. However when I hook up the switch it just opens the door and when I press the switch nothing happens. It seems like the switch is closing the circuit and it can't be broken. Even tried another brand new switch and same problem.

FYI, the motor is 12V
    You are on the right track. The next step is to checkout the limit switch on the drive shaft. The limit switch may not be opening or closing depending on the manufacturer design.

Feb 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Are you saying that the limit switch might be faulty ? Or just a bad design

Maybe I need a different type of switch that is Normally open. Like a toggle or push button

Feb 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Are you saying that the limit switch might be faulty ? Or just a bad design

Maybe I need a different type of switch that is Normally open. Like a toggle or push button
    I am not sure what you have for the drive, Is it Acme or chain? The limit switch needs setting at the ends of the drive shaft. There should be two switches. Another thought is if you have lighting cell controls, those optics might need adjustment if the unit stops short of closing. This does not seem to be the case. Take a look at the limit switches or contact brackets. They may be loose.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Those switches are all simple, momentary, normally open, single throw, single pole. In other words, all they do is maintain contact between the 2 wires as long as you hold the button in. I would power the unit on with one button wire disconnected from the opener. If the door opens like before, you have internal problems. Recheck all your wiring. If it is OK, take it back. If it doesn't open until you touch the wire to its terminal, you must have a short in the pair of wires.

Feb 27, 2007, 01:19 AM

FYI, the motor is 12V
    Revisiting your comment here leaves me to believe that you can open and close the door in testing the unconnected condition across the motor control low voltage terminals. Hooking up the control wiring back to the unit terminals is okay until the pushbutton switch is pressed. Is this true?

Feb 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Success!

I tried a non-lighted switch and everything works fine. I guess the lighted switch somehow completed the circuit and could not be broken

Thanks for all those who gave me ideas & suggestions

Thanks
    Jc:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if and how to install a garage door opener. My problem is that there is a full attic above my detached garage and the clearance between the joists and door is only an inch. Any ideas?

Garage Door Opener Kenmore 1/2 Hp locking up [ 1 Answers ]

When closing my garage door opener, it will start to close and then go back up. Sometimes as much as 3 times before getting it to close. Is this a sensor problem or what? Should I just replace the opener for $175 or is is less expensive to let the repair guy some at $65 a visit plus parts and...

Garage Door Opener Light [ 1 Answers ]

It won't go out... besides unscrewing it, how do I get it to go out? The light button isn't turning it off. Thanks.

Garage door opener light [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get the light in my garage door opener to stay on? Unit is a Sears chain drive 1/2 hp. Thanks.

Sears garage door opener spring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a garage door opener that I purchased from Sears less than 2 years ago and I took out the extra warranty.. DO the warranty usually cover the breakage of the spring on the door itself? If not is it a easy job one could do himself? Or is something a professional should do? Thanks

View more questions Search