Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nidesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 12:08 AM
    My dvd rom is not working after installing xp
    Dvd rom was working but it stopped and the sound system is also nt responding after installing xp
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 1, 2012, 09:08 AM
    If the hardware is newer than XP itself (2001), manual driver installation may be required to properly detect all devices. The first driver to install after OS installation is the driver for your motherboard's chipset. This driver can be found either on the computer manufacturer's website or the motherboard manufacturer's website. Following installation of the chipset driver, install the drivers for storage, video, audio, and network adapters. Last install drivers for peripheral devices such as a printer.
    wildcatmike Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Feb 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
    You can find out if the driver for the DVD ROM is installed and working properly by looking at Device Manager. Launch device manager by clicking on Start Menu-->Run then typing this into the text field:

Devmgmt.msc

Then press Enter. Any devices that do not have drivers installed or have non-working drivers will be displayed with a warning sign next to them.

It is good practice to install drivers in the right order as Scleros described. For some drivers like the chipset driver or video driver, if they are missing you might not see an obvious failure like your DVD drive not working, but your system is still not functioning as well as it could be. Also, older/default drivers for some devices can have security vulnerabilities that are fixed in newer versions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD ROM and DVD RW drives won't read any discs. [ 18 Answers ]

I've tried a few discs in both drives and neither of the drives can read them. It's like there's nothing in the drives. :confused:. I think it might be a problem to do with some software I had installed 'Sonic software'. I have now removed this but the CD drives still have an exclamation mark next...

DVD rom light on even when DVD is not reading [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a ASUS DVD rom. It's light indicator is always on when a DVD is present inside the rom. But this happens even when the DVD is not been accessed. Can anyone give me an explanation to this? Thanks, Hdude.

No dvd rom and dvd ram drive [ 5 Answers ]

My xp does not detect any dvd rom and dvd ram drive It doesn't show any icon in my computer While booting it shows ATAPI incompactible I tried to connect only master drive but doesn't work

Asus dvd-rom not reading cd only reads dvd [ 0 Answers ]

Hi guys! I'm having a bit of problem with my asus dvd-rom,it use to read all CDs and DVDs but I installed MAGICDISC,and ISOBUSTER and since then it only reads DVDs but not any CDs. Ihave uninstalled the MAGICDISC and ISOBUSTER but it still will not read ANY CDs. If anyone could help me to fix...

2 DVD Writers and 1 DVD Rom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pent 4 with 512 ram, 60 gig HD. I would like to hookup my 2 DVD Burners so that I can make 2 copies at the same time from my DVD Rom.. Is this possible and what do I need to connect them? Appreciate any help folk... Oops, thanks folks, I discovered that this task can be performed...

View more questions Search