Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomdel45 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Truck weight
    What is the difference between curb weight and gross vehicle weight?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
    From Wikipedia:

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)[1] is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e. including the weight of the vehicle itself plus passengers, and cargo.

The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 4,500 pounds (2,041 kg) might have a cargo capacity of 2,000 pounds (907 kg), meaning it can have a gross weight of 6,500 pounds (2,948 kg) when fully loaded.

Jan 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Looking to get a lift for my truck. The curb weight is 4778 and the gross vehicle weight is 6400. What weight cap. Should I be looking for in getting a lift for?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Did you actually find my answer not helpful? I answered your question the way you asked it.

So, you want us to determine what weight cap. You should get, is that right?

Why didn't you put that in your question in the first place?

We are all volunteers here. Sir, not mind readers.

Jan 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
    I guess I am not asking it right. If I were to buy a lift to pick up the entire truck what should I be looking at . The curb weight or the gross weight?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Are you looking for something like a 4 post lift or jacks? Always best to go above the weight you are lifting. If you are empty, go slightly above the 4778, if lifting loaded, go above the 6400. Better yet, when you go to purchase it, the manufacturer will be better able to advise.
    tommybwiz Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Curb weight, if completely EMPTY, gross weight if completely LOADED, or somewhere in between to accommodate for incidental weight. Did that tell you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving but person who put collateral for our truck says its his truck [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a truck from a man we know.. we went through bank to buy truck since we are retired our credit not good.. so he out up colleratle of a 10k cd hee is not a cosigner not on title or loan... but we are making plans on moving to be closer to children n grandchildren... now he says we can't...

I want to gain some weight my current weight is50kgs and height is 168cms [ 1 Answers ]

I am 24 yrs old and my weight is 50kgs and height 168cms. Can you please suggest me the food to gain weight.

Truck/camper parked on my property owner won't pay rent can I take title to truck [ 3 Answers ]

I agreed to let friend park truck w camper on my property. After a few months I told him to move it off or pay rent. He moved it but a month later parked it there without a word . Called called person told him he had to pay rent to park on property. Its going on 4 months ,no payment .talked last...

Pulled over, pulled out of truck, truck searched, wrong guy? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, my boyfriend got pulled over this morning and was told to get out of his truck. The police then searched his truck (tore apart his truck, is what he said) and then they said "oh, sorry, we have the wrong guy". Is there anything he can do here? He has no criminal past (few speeding tickets)...

View more questions Search