Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Size Wire for 100 Amp Garage Sub-panel
    What type and size wire, in PVC conduit, for 100 amp 120/240 volt sub-panel in free standing garage/workshop 120 feet from main panel? I assume 1/0 aluminum will be cheaper than #1 copper and ground must insulated. What size ground. What size conduit? Will 2" conduit be worth the additional cost over 1 1/2' as far as pulling? What would be trade name for wire, if any. Must neutral be white or can it be redesiginated with paint.

I have done my own research but would like to have confirmation.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2012, 04:35 AM
    Harold, assuming a worst case scenario with 80 amps at 240 volts, #1 aluminum XHHW will be fine. You may go to #1/0 if you desire.

Check prices. Sure, copper will cost much much more.

Equipment ground can be #4, increased due to increasing the line conductors for voltage drop.

So, three # 1 Al XHHW and one #4 Al XHHW would fit in minimum 1-1/4" Sch 40 PVC.

I would use 2 " Sch 40 PVC conduit to help with the distance, and would be more than adequate if you use #1/0 Al XHHW.

For the neutral, it must be marked white at both ends. We simply use white tape, and mark it before pulling so there is no mistake. If you can find white #1 XHHW, that would be great, but not necessary.

The #4 Al XHHW equipment ground needs to be green, again, if you can find green wire, great, but green tape at both ends is fine.

Be sure the new panel has a Main Breaker.

Drive at least one ground rod, check local codes, some states require a min of two 8 foot copper ground rods.

Connect the rod(s) with #6 copper wire, Al is not allowed, continuous from the equipment ground bar in the new panel to one or both rods, no splices or cuts.

You already know that the neutral bar needs to remain insulated and isolated from the metal panel box, no bonding jumper.

I hope this helps.

Jan 20, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Thanks TK, yes it helps a lot.

This if for a friend. Main panel is in house garage and very full. Plan is to come out of the box with conduit, go down the inside wall. Go through the wall to the outside with a couple pulling ells. Then down and underground with a sweep.

I will probably have trouble finding a place in the main panel for the conduit. Could I come out of the main panel with cable, go down and through the wall, then make a connection in the pulling ell. If so, is there a fitting to close where the cable enters the pulling ell.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2012, 06:59 AM
    You can change from conduit to cable, for a short run use #2-4 SER cable, but you need to end the conduit with a 8 x8 or 10 x 10 PVC junction box and splice the #1 to the #2 in that box.

Jan 20, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Thanks again TK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of wire 100 amp garage service? [ 1 Answers ]

I will actually be using less than 60 amps but the box has 100 amp breakers and rating. Do I need to go to a larger gauge simply because of the larger breakers or can I go smaller as for a 60 amp usage? I have a small compressor; 50 amp welder; may install a motorized garage door as a manual is...

What size wire and what breaker for a 100 amp sub panel 275 ft [ 2 Answers ]

"I have a 200 amp panel in my house with 7 avalible slots. I want to run from it to a 100 amp sub panel 275 ft away. What size wire and what size breakers should I run to the sub panel? Then from the panel I was going to run in the barn 3 shop lights and 4 plugs. Then go about 75 ft to a pavilion...

Wire size for a 100 amp lug sub panel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a 200 amp main panel, but it is a small 24 slot panel. It is full and I need to add three more circuits. I want to run a 100 amp main lug subpanel. The plan is to move the clothes dryer breakers to the new sub and use the existing location in the main panel to install a 100amp breaker...

Wire size for a 100 amp sub panel 200 feet away [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp main panel in my house and I just built a garage and am planning on putting a 100 amp sub panel in the garage. The garage is about 200 feet from my house and it has a 2 inch pvc stubbed out underground. I am wondering what size aluminum I would need to feed it, and if I can use a...

100 amp sub panel wire size [ 2 Answers ]

I now have the 100 amp breaker installed in my load panel. I will run wiring from the load panel to a 100 amp sub-panel in an unground 80 schedule PVC. I believe I need to use #2 wire for the hots and the neutral. If this is correct, then what size ground do I use? Number 6? The sub- panel...

View more questions Search