Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jheidel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Minimum income without filing federal taxes?
    I babysit for a friend, it is my only income, and not much at that. What is the minimum amount I can make without filing taxes?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Hello j:

It's like $8,700 or thereabouts.

If you friend withholds any taxes from your paycheck, then the only way you can get it back is to file. But, like most people, she probably doesn't do that..

excon
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 11:24 AM
    If you are claimed as a dependent on another's tax return, then the filing threshold is lower.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
    I think you mean to ask what is the maximum amount you can make without filing taxes.

If no one is claiming you as a dependent, then you need not file if your income is less than $8750 (assuming you are single).

However, if you are being claimed as as a dependent by someone else, such as your parents, it all depends on factors such as how much unearned income you may have. If you have no unearned income at all (no interest or dividends), then the threshold is $5350. If you do have unearned income, the threshold can be as low as $850 - it all depends on how much earned and unearned income you have. Here's a web site that walks you through the various conditions that affects whether you need to file or not:

Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return?
    kellyklan6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
    What about if you are married and have 4 kids?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Hello k:

Whether you need to file or not has to do with your INCOME, not your family status.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyklan6 View Post
    What about if you are married and have 4 kids?
    You must file if any of the following are true:

1. Your gross income is greater than $19K and you are not claimed as a dependent by someone else. (If you are a dependent post back and I'll go into more detail).
    2. If one spouse files as married filing separately the other spouse must file if his/her income is greater than $3700.
    3. If you owe taxes on IRA, 401(k), or health savings account
    4. If you have owe social security or medicare tax on income not reported to your employer (for example on tips), or wages from an employer where these taxes were not withheld
    5. If you owe any household employment taxes
    6. You had self-employment earnings of at least $400
    7. You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church that is exempt from social security and medicare taxes.
    ladonna_jones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
    #1 if an adult is filed by a grown child and the mother made 5000 yr babysitting, would her income be included with her son?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Apr 20, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Ladonna_jones:
    If I understand you correctly, your son is claiming you as a dependent? He cannot do that as you earned more than $3700. You have to file your own return and cannot be claimed as dependent. Even if you would qualify to be a dependent, he would not include your income on his return, you would still have to file your own.
    julane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 03:40 PM
    I am divorced, making a little over $2000 from unemployment. However, unemployment was not deducting taxes. Do I need to file?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2013, 10:32 AM
    If the $2,000 was your ONLY source of taxable income, then you have NO legal requirement to file a federal income tax return.

State return is a different matter. It depends on the state.
    Cryslarry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2013, 10:33 AM
    I am filing married & joint return. My gross alone was $3589 last year. Do I have to file on me?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 10:52 AM
    You have no legal requirement to file, because your income is BELOW the personal exemption of $3,800.

However, if you had federal taxes withheld, you may want to file to get those withheld taxes back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal Income Taxes on Inheritance from Trust Fund [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to receive an inheritance (less than what is allowed before inheritance taxes apply). Do I still have to pay federal income tax on the money received? I live in Texas, where there is no state income tax.

How can interest income double my federal taxes owed? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, This question is for anyone out there who can help me, specifically for Atlanta Tax Expert since you were kind enough to help me last year through this forum. My status changed from F1 to H1B in 2005 and 2006 is the first year that I will file as a resident alien. My employer deducts...

Inheritance and Federal Income Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that Estates can be passed tax free to the heirs if their value is less than $2,000,000, and that if you inherit stocks and sell them you'd have to pay Capital Gains on the difference between the stepped-up value and the actual sale value, but do you also have to report the sale...

Filing income taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have been totally disabled since 12/2005. I am currently receiving compensation from a service connected disability and I am receiving social security disability income. Do I have to file income taxes for 2006? I have also contributed 4000 dollars to a traditional IRA during 2006. Thanks for any...

View more questions Search