Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbrady53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Furnace intake piping
    When temperature is 10 degrees outside my intake pipe freezes up and my furnace will not work right. When I disconnect the intake pipe so it will take air from my basement. The furnace runs fine. Is it okey to draw air from my basement?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Yes, drawing the combustion air from your basement will be just fine. However, if the vent and intake are terminated correctly, the intake should not freeze up. Sounds like they may be to close together, allowing the moist exhuast to be drawn into the intake causing freezing. You could try putting a 90 fitting on both the intake and exhaust and angleing then away from each other at about 45 degrees. Or you may have a dryer vent near the intake? Anything that will allow warm damp air to enter the intake will cause freezing of the intake. Take a closer look at the vent and intake terminations, and let me know if there is anything that's seem like it could cause this. If everything is done correctly, and its still freezing up, then that is usually because it nice and cold, then there is snow being blown around (really cold temps with blowing snow just tends to cause these type of issues, in which case, pulling the combustion air from the basement is the best fix). Good luck, and please let me know what you decide.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 09:07 PM
    I am with MGD, this pipe should not freeze if it was done right. Exhaust should terminate at least 1' above the intake and I point the PVC in opposite directions also use elbows ro get intake pointed down. All older type firnaces and most hot water heaters burn household air. You paid extra to get a higher efficient furnace so only pull air from the basement to get your through the night and then fix this tomoorw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piping to and from LP gas Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vacation home with LP gas. The home is two story, 1850 sq. ft. The Furnace is under the house. We have been told that the return Air Pipe and the Heat pipes servicing all of the rooms are to Small in Dia. I know that the return air is 20 inch. The Heat pipes I am not sure of the size.

Where is the intake or the exhuast pipe on my goodman furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the intake or the exhuast pipe on my goodman furnace?

Furnace Air Intake Noise [ 0 Answers ]

I have a single central air intake vent for the furnace (Goodman GMP050-3) which supplies my two-story townhouse. Unfortunately, this intake vent is located in my living room. Whenever the heater or AC is active, it sounds like a jet engine in the room. As per the pictures below, the furnace is...

Furnace intake freezes up [ 1 Answers ]

I have a high efficienct furnace which exhausts warm moist air outside the house. Next to this exhaust is the cold air intake for the furnace. On cold nights the warm moist air is sucked into the cold air intake. This warm moist air freezes inside the cold air intake clogging it up and causing...

Gas furnace intake / exhaust pipes [ 19 Answers ]

The photo in the URL below is of my furnace intake / exhause. It's a 90+percent efficiency gas forced air furnace, direct vent out the sidewall of the house. The pipes are 2.5" sched 40 pvc. The one on the left is the intake, one on the right is the exhaust. As you can see, I'm having the house...

View more questions Search