Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksdavid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
    3 wire 220v supply to 4 wire 220v appliances?
    I have a 3 wire supply to my oven #8 black, #8 white and a bare copper wire. Both black and white are hot - 120V on both to the copper wire. I just bought a new 220V oven that is 4 wire - black, white, red and copper. How do I hook it up? Black to black, red (oven) to white, white (oven) and copper to copper?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
    You cannot use this circuit.

Your new oven requires four wires, two hots, a neutral and ground. This is a 120/240v circuit.
    Your existing circuit is 240v only and has only to hots and a ground. There is NO way to wire the new to the old.
    Sorry.

Please don't let anyone tell you about old 3-wire circuits being allowed, this does NOT apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have 3 wire coming of a generator how to wire 220v 30 amp 3 pron oulett? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I install a 220v 3 wire is coming out of a generator

3-wire 220V receptable and need to hook up a 4-wire 208V oven [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Bakers Pride oven that has 4 wires and a 220v 3-wire receptable in which I need to hook it up. The receptable has black, white, & bare wires. The oven has black, red, white, and green. Do I simply hook up the black to black, the red(oven) to white(receptacle), and then the white and...

How to wire 40 amp american appliances(dishwasher and stove) to European 220V [ 1 Answers ]

I suppose that I will need a step-down 220/110V transformer. I bought a 8000Wt one with 3 110V outlets. Does it mean that I have to connect 4 wires of an appliance to 1 positive, 1 positive, 1 neutral and 1 ground wire? What color is neutral? Black?

Unsure how to splice 4 wire 220v to 3 wire 220v [ 1 Answers ]

OK I trying to get 220v in my garage from my unused dryer outlet it has 4 wires feeding into it 1 bare 1 neutral 2 hot I was going to buy some 10/3 and splice it and run it the 50 ft I need to get to garage for a air compressor now 2 things it only reads 230v at box is that sufficient to travel...

View more questions Search