Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Heater won't work in auto
    Whenever I turn my heater on in auto it will not come on. I have switched to Run and it comes on but only blows cool air. The pilot light is lit. The A/C works great so I have no idea what this might be, I read that it might be a relay but have no idea which one it is a ~17 yr old Trane unit so it may be going any day but I would like to prolong it as much as possible.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 07:54 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors.

When calling for heat, the blower won't come on until the gas runs long enough to warm the air in the furnace. You need to go to the gas valve. It is between the gas line and the furnace burner. It should have white and blue wires to it. If they have 24 volts to them, and the gas doesn't come on, the gas valve is bad. If they don't have 24 volts, the thermostat or wiring to it is bad.

Oct 31, 2005, 07:17 PM
    Ok I tried to troubleshoot according to your steps but the labels are gone and the wiring colors are not correct, there are no blue wires at all and there are different wire combos than what you listed. Is there any basic descriptions of each component you can give or should I just call a repairman, it if is by chance the thermostat how much do one of those usually run? Thanks for the help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2005, 07:48 PM
    Follow the gas pipe into the furnace. It should come to a square box with a couple of wires and tubes one of which goes to the pilot light. The far side connects to the furnace burner itself. The thing is the gas valve. It should have small blue and white wires going to it. If they are a different color, no big deal, electricity is color blind. With the power on, and the thermostat calling for heat, there should be 24 volts between the wires. If so, and the gas doesn't come on, the valve is bad. You can shut the gas and power off and remove it, take it to a Trane dealer and buy a new one. Hardware stores and home centers should have one that would work, but may require some changes to make a slightly different one work.

If the gas comes on, but the blower doesn't before the gas goes off again, the temperature limit switch isn't working. It is a little box near the gas burner with a couple of wires running to it. The blower doesn't start up until the limit switch is warmed up by the gas burner.

Nov 1, 2005, 07:13 AM
    Ok so the pilot light is on but I read the wires on the gas valve and there was nothing, so I appreciate the help you have giving I will be checking out a Trane dealer either todoy or tomorrow thanks labman.
    airtouch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 01:01 PM
    Trane unit heater not working on auto

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It won't work [ 2 Answers ]

My mp3 player uses napster and you hook it up and when I try to download it says no device detected Whys that

Husband won't work [ 8 Answers ]

My husband won't work right now either. He used to make a good salary. He has decided he is going to be a real estate agent. He has been one for 10 months and has contributed 4,000.00 to our expenses this year. We have financial responsibilities like two mortgages, cars, insurance, etc. and I have...

FAN doesn't work when it's 'Auto', but works fine at 'On' in my central air/furnace [ 1 Answers ]

undefinedFAN 'On' or 'Auto'FAN 'On' or 'Auto' Hi, I have programmable thermostat connecting air condition / furnace system. Now if I turn system to 'Cool' and Fan at 'Auto', no cool air come out (compressor works, you can hear the noise). If I set FAN to 'On', life is getting better. But the FAN...

Changed thermostat now heater won't work [ 1 Answers ]

We changed a white rodgers thermostat out to a honewll round and now in order for the heater to come on you must first turn the fan to the "on" position. The heater will come on but won't turn the fan on so the safety sensors turn the heater off when there is no air flow. I was told that we got the...

View more questions Search