Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danny9985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
    My dog wakes up gagging or gasping for air
    My 4 year old Bassett hound has recently started waking up and gasping for air for about 15 seconds then stops. He still eats but has started acting kind of lethargic. He never does it while awake only when waking up. Can someone please help me?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 04:57 PM
    The best we can do here is guess, and those are pretty vague symptoms. So if you don't mind I'll ask a couple of questions myself.
    First, Is his waking time normal for him or does he seem to be waking at odd times because he is in distress?
    Where do you live and is he on heartworm prevention?
    If his eating habits are normal is he losing or gaining weight?
    Does he seem to "poop" out when he exercises or is he just generally lethargic?
    Take his normals and weigh them against what you see now, things such as water intake, urinary habits, bowel movements, activity level etc.
    Could be a number of things causing the lethargy, not sure about the gagging or gasping, it is hard to get a good image of exactly what you mean by those terms.
    But you seem concerned about him, if the lethargy continues I would make an appointment to get him in to see the Vet.
    Danny9985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 01:58 PM
    I live in Lawndale, CA. He eats normal and drinks normal. I walked him an hour and he did not do it and seem fine. But when he sleeps he will wake up and do what seems like a panic attack. But after he is normal. He hasnormal bowl movments and goes pee regularly. He seems normal besides that.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jan 5, 2012, 02:03 AM
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2335
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Just a wild guess, but check out these two links about reverse sneezing.
    Is this what you are seeing and hearing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my dog keep gagging? [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my 18 week jack russel puppy keep gagging

Are my goldfish gasping for air because of too much water conditioner? Or not enough? [ 5 Answers ]

I changed my tank water today and added new gravel and a new décor and now one fish is at the bottom and keeps jumping to the top and then sinks back to the bottom and the other two are at the top sucking air. Do I need to add more water conditioner or is there such a thing as giving them too much?...

My dog is having convultions.. almost like he is gasping for air.Can anyone help me? [ 12 Answers ]

My dog is a peek-a-poo.. about 3 years old. He has recently started to have what seems like convultions.. its almost like he is gasping for are or like something is stuck in his throat.. but it has been getting worse and I'm very nervous for him.. I don't really have the money to take him to the...

Dying Kitten Gasping for Air [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitten in the back yard who is gasping for air as we speak I tried giving it water and cat milk but I do not know if it is swallowing it?? I moved it so that it wouldn't die of heat stroke but will still stay warm though it doesn't seem to be helping. Poor kitten is very small it poop...

Gasping for air [ 3 Answers ]

I'm concerned my 2 year old was fine all day today a happy baby... he just woke up gasping for air and hoarse what does that mean... he's sleeping again but I'm concerned

View more questions Search