Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris_c Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
    Water heater pilot won't stay lit
    The pilot on my water heater won't stay lit so I replaced the thermo-couple. Still won't stay lit. Anybody have any ideas?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
    Hello Chris_c, here are couple of tips to help you with your stubborn pilot light:

1. Make sure water heater is getting enough oxygen through the vents on the bottom of the heater. Remove all items around it and vacuum lint and dust form the inside of the vents.

2. Many times, the reasons for pilot not wanting to stay lit is that it is far away from thermocoupling which in turn has to transmit elec. Signal to the gas safety valve. Recheck your installation. Make sure the tip of the pilot flame is hitting upper third of the thermocoupling.

Lastly, follow the manufacturer's instructions pasted on the front of the heater.

Back to you. Milo
    chris_c Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Thanks Milo. I went out to the garage this morning and with the help of the air compressor and my shop vac it is now staying lit. Thanks.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Glad I was able to help! Milo
    Notbill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 06:32 AM
    I had the same problem. My water heater is a 3 year old State (AO Smith). It was fine until 3 weeks ago when the pilot went out - relit and all OK for 3 days - went out again. Relit and all OK for a day - out again. Checked the " troubleshooting" in the instructions - no help. Went to State website and found instructions on cleaning the FV screen. Cleaned the screen and has been OK for 2 weeks. The instructions are under " technical" on the website. Simple procedure but you have to almost stand on your head to reach it. Hope this helps.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2011, 07:21 PM
    If your vents are clean ( both, interior and exterior ) than your vent may be blocked, you may have bad thermo-coupling or gas safety valve is not faulty. Since your heater is only 3 years old it should be under warranty. Call A.O.Smith for help. Back to you. Milo
    avfamily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 09:37 PM
    Just realized my pilot was out and no hot water, tried to light it and it stay lit for about 5 minutes and then goes out. The house is 6yrs old and scheduled the gas company to come out to do a inspection.
    What would cause this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot won't stay lit? [ 4 Answers ]

50 gallon NG Water heater still in warranty, but for parts only. Burner and pilot would light but go out later. Whirlpool sent me the complete pilot/thermocouple assembly - no help (I used to be able to get the burner to light, but not now). Then they sent me a new gas valve. All installed. ...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit.. [ 4 Answers ]

Unit was new about 14 months ago, worked fine till recently. Whirlpool BFG1F404053NOV0751118163 Valve: Robert Shaw 64-LF8-376R110 RATSP1 Initially I was able to light the pilot again, and fire the heater and it would work, I believe up to temp, then hours later I'd notice the water going...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 5 Answers ]

My water heater pilot won't stay lit. Sometimes it stays lit and will work for a few hours and then goes out again. It's been doing this daily for about 2wks. The water heater is not old. What can be the problem?

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot light on my water heater went out yesterday and I was able to get it going and had hot water for most of the day. But it went out again last night, and I was able to get the pilot light to relight when pressing the button but when let up on immediately goes out. I tried replacing the...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

View more questions Search