Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 11:17 AM
    How to pronounce Banal
    I'm having an argument with my boyfriend: I pronounce banal to rhyme with anal and he says banal to rhyme with canal. Which one is the correct English pronoucation and which one is more Americanised?

So how do you say it and where do you come from?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 27, 2008, 11:25 AM

The American Heritage Dictionary says the following:

The pronunciation of banal is not settled among educated speakers of American English. Sixty years ago, H.W. Fowler recommended the pronunciation (bān'əl, rhyming with panel), but this pronunciation is now regarded as recondite by most Americans: no member of the Usage Panel prefers this pronunciation. In our 2001 survey, (bənāl') is preferred by 58 percent of the Usage Panel, (bā'nəl) by 28 percent, and (bə-näl') by 13 percent (this pronunciation is more common in British English). Some Panelists admit to being so vexed by the problem that they tend to avoid the word in conversation. Speakers can perhaps take comfort in knowing that these three pronunciations each have the support of at least some of the Usage Panel and that none of them is incorrect. When several pronunciations of a word are widely used, there is really no right or wrong one.

I hope that helps.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane View Post
    banal to rhyme with canal.
    Yup that's how I would say it. It's a french word brought into english. I'm perfectly bilingual French-English by the way.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 11:29 AM

So the french would pronounce it a la canal? Eep that's what my boyfriend said. Oh no I'm going to have to say he's right!

Texas I've been using that entry as a defence that there is no set pronunciation so we are both right (i.e. I'm not wrong!)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 11:33 AM

Like neither.

I pronounce it like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n-uk-banal.ogg
    Bri_on Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 04:02 AM
    I always thought it was banal as in anal but I heard it used on the TV show BONES pronounced as canal. So I looked up the pronunciation and found that it is either of those two plus others such as banal pronounced like the word all. I am unsettled by this so I will now pronounce it trite and leave banal for the prose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you guys pronounce Nevada? [ 10 Answers ]

OK how do you guys pronounce Nevada? I am really curious considering a lot of you guys are from back east or in another country, so how do you guys pronounce it?

How do you pronounce 'advertisement'? [ 10 Answers ]

Dictionary.com lists two pronunciations for 'advertisement': Ad-ver-tahyz-muhnt, ad-vur-tis-muhnt And I can't find whether (or which) one is american, or british or canadian Anyone know? Thx!

How do you pronounce didj? [ 1 Answers ]

It's a new leapster game. My bro has it and I don't know how the hell to pronounce it

Can't pronounce T'pau [ 1 Answers ]

I really like the band T'pau (china in your hand, heart and soul) but I've never heard the name spoken out loud. Because I have to say it on air, I need to know the correct pronunciation. So if you know how to pronounce it, just spell it phonetically for me. Oh, and because the band is named...

View more questions Search