Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonmark222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Can Prozac and SAM-e be taken without bad effects?
    I keep hearing that these two products 'should not be taken together'
    "without consultation with your doctor," - which is totally un-useful. My doctor usually hasn't got a clue, I can't find any doctors who do and no one ever has time to look it up. I can't find a proper detailed scientific answer on the Web either.
    Do any of you know?
    I mean REALLY KNOW...

Thanks.

J.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
    I am looking in 2007 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference, 20th Anniversary Edition and I will quote what it says:

"! Do not use together; increased risk of serotonin syndrome: St. John's wort and SAM-e"

According to Psychiatriac Nursing Fifth Edition Serotonin Syndrome symptoms include (most frequent to least frequent)

Mental status changes, including confusion or hypomania (hypomania is a mild degree of mania characterized by optimism; excitability; energetic, productive behavior; marked hyperactivity and talkativeness; heightened sexual interest; quick anger and irrability; and a decreased need for sleep. It may be observed before a full blown manic episode)

Restlessness or agitation

Myoclonus, which is a spasm of a muscle or a group of muscles

Hyperreflexia which is increased reflex reactions

Diaphoresis (sweating)

Shivering (or shaking chills)

Tremor

Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea

Ataxia (an impaired ability to coordinate movement. A staggering gait and postural imbalance) or incoordination

Headaches

I hope this helps. If not, let me know and I will see if I can find out more for you.

Feb 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
    I appreciate the info.
    If you can find more information, I would be grateful.
    I have taken both (Prozac for 12 years) SAM-e for about 1 year and, up to now, I have felt fine. I recently went on to weight-watchers and lost about 16 lb. in 3 months. I am currently experiencing some strange symptoms: anxiety, nervousness, inability to focus, restlessness, slight ataxia - which seems reflected in your explanation; but not really the other symptoms. BTW ( I also take Lotrel for HBP, but my pressure is now lower naturally because I have lost weight.) I have completely lost confidence in 'doctors' whose best diagnosis is an educated guess and often appears to me to be an uneducated guess.
    I have decided to try and phase out the Prozac - slowly; the Lotrel too, and see what happens. What do you think? I am aware your opinion is just that and don't worry I won't sue you for the take I am asking you to give me. I don't believe in that sort of thing.
    Thanks.
    J.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Well, apparently the Lotrel does not interact with either the Prozac or the SAM-e, so I would venture to guess (yes medicine is a PRACTICE) that the symptoms you are experiencing are due to the Prozac and SAM-e.

You may have been taking them for up to a year, but it sometimes takes a while for meds to reach a level where they are considered toxic. Now, understand toxic does not always mean deadly, but can mean that is when adverse reactions begin to happen.

If you feel it necessary to wean of the meds slowly, let me advise you that you should only do one at a time. Don't go off the Prozac and the Lotrel at the same time. I would guess you should go off the Prozac first, since withdrawal symptoms can increase BP, so you will have your Lotrel to back you up during the weaning process.

If you have not, it may benefit you to talk directly to a pharmacist/chemist about these drugs rather than a physician. The pharmacist is much more knowledgeable about the effects of meds and withdrawals than most doctors.

Feb 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Janine... I am MOST GRATEFUL to you for your answers.

By the way, my 31 year old daughter has just begin a three year training course to be a nurse at the University of Applied Sciences of Western Switzerland. It is run by the Red Cross. She was accepted there after having passed the preliminary exams successfully. From the age of 19 to the present she was a legal secretary; so I believe there are a few similarities with your own story. Just another example of synchronicity.

I would like to count myself as an on-line 'friend' if that is OK with you? :)

J.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Wow, J, that is amazing, you have got to be proud of your daughter!!

Yes, talk about synchronicity!!

Please J, add me as a friend. I would really like that!! :D

Another funny thing is you are J and I am J!:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Side effects [ 4 Answers ]

Please can you tell me what side effects I will have to expect on superfact

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Multimedia Effects [ 1 Answers ]

Sir, I Need Some Background Effect For My Video. Please Any One Can Let Me Where I Can Free Download It?

Dogs and Prozac [ 2 Answers ]

Our dashchund is on Prozac now because of some very aggressive behavior toward family members (he growls and snaps any time he is moved or touched--more so at night and especially when touched with feet accidentally or otherwise). This behavior initialy got better after starting the Prozac, but now...

View more questions Search