Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsdb71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Continued child support when child quits school
    I live in New York & this is my question...
    Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments, if this helps or matters. Thanks!
    TTLT03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdb71
    I live in New York & this is my question...
    Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments, if this helps or matters. Thanks!
    It's my understanding that the non custodial parent would have to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Of age or until the child finishes high school. It also depends on what is written into the custody agreement.
    anglipp Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TTLT03 View Post
    It's my understanding that the non custodial parent would have to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. of age or until the child finishes high school. It also depends on what is written into the custody agreement.
    This is a answer I do know because we just spoke with a lawyer. If the child quits school and gets a FULL time job... but, only has to work 1 full day of that job, the supporting parent can go to court to terminate payments. If they only work part time and it does not change child support payment.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anglipp View Post
    This is a answer I do know because we just spoke with a lawyer. If the child quits school and gets a FULL time job...but, only has to work 1 full day of that job, the supporting parent can go to court to terminate payments. If they only work part time and it does not change child support payment.
    This doeant sound correct. Maybe you misunderstood what you were being told. A minor having a job doesn't make them emancipated. A parent at a minimum must support minor children. In NY on some orders it was written until 21. If the minor child emancipates before 18 that's the only way to stop child support obligation.

Apr 9, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    This doeant sound correct. Maybe you misunderstood what you were being told. A minor having a job doesnt make them emancipated. A parent at a minimum must support minor children. In NY on some orders it was written until 21. If the minor child emancipates before 18 thats the only way to stop child support obligation.

Not just having a job. If they quit school and get a full time job. It doesn't matter if they keep the job but if they go and work 1 full day child support can be stopped. We did it to one of my husbands children and we went through the court in front of a judge.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Not just having a job. If they quit school and get a full time job. It doesnt matter if they keep the job but if they go and work 1 full day child support can be stopped. We did it to one of my husbands children and we went through the court in front of a judge.
    Was this person a minor and subject to court ordered visitation ? ( i.e. below the age of 18 ? )

Apr 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Was this person a minor and subject to court ordered visitation ? ( i.e. below the age of 18 ? )
    He was 15 and had not been to school since 6th grade. Very troubled kid. Went to Daytop but that didn't work. When I say hadn't been since 6th grade, what I mean is he cut more than he went to where 3 schools told him not to return at all by 7th. He saw his father all the time. He just did what he wanted to when he wanted and nobody could control him. As of today, he is 22 with no job and no desire to get one
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
    He was 15 and had not been to school since 6th grade. Very troubled kid. Went to Daytop but that didnt work. When I say hadnt been since 6th grade, what I mean is he cut more than he went to where 3 schools told him not to return at all by 7th. He saw his father all the time. He just did what he wanted to when he wanted and nobody could control him. As of today, he is 22 with no job and no desire to get one
    Still doesn't sound right. Im sure I would love to see the ruling on this one. There are cases of released liability when dealing with troubled youth and its possible that he somehow wrangled under that ruling. I have never seen any courts drop child support when there is a parent to pay it. Not on a minor unless the state took over.
    smithwillie34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 08:45 PM
    I wanted too know if two kids age are 17and 18 working part time jobs do you still have to pay child support
    qwertyuiop1234t Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 06:11 AM
    My child lived with me and is a troubled teen, suspended from school just a week prior,bounces back and forth from my home to her mothers home when she grets mad at one she leaves and stays with the other. She is 16 . I was getting on to her about the school calling AGAIN, right after she just got back from being suspended.she goes in a rage. Distroys her room, and the police was called. The police tried to talk to her, telling her to listen to father, and left. I had to call them minutes later. Because she csmr after me with a 8 inch knife. Police came back and took her to jail. The court is trying her as an adult. Her mother bailed her out the next day, and is now back at her mothers. AGAIN. I FEAR FOR MY LIFE AROUND MY OWN DAUGHTER. MY QUESTION IS do I havetopay child support for a kid that has assaulted me. In the state of Maryland. We never had any custody papers. Ever. But I did pay child support whenthemother

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search