Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddy007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
    How to stop biting?
    How to stop an 4 month old labrador puppy biting?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2011, 11:48 PM
    First step is to teach HUMANS not to use their hands to tease-play with the puppy. Teaching the pup starts with a quick tug on a short leash with a sharp NO. (No punishment, hitting, or other scolding, just NO once) Then SIT without moving for a minute. Praise him and pat him, and let him play then with a toy that he is allowed to bite and chew on. He needs good strong chew toys like a kong and rope knot.

As soon as he bites again, do this over and over, patiently - tug with no, sit, good dog, chew toy. As long as the humans do their job of keeping their hands away from his face while playing, he will learn very quickly. If you have children you are going to have to explain this carefully to them because the human element isn't usually obvious to them.

This isn't like distracting a toddler. There needs to be that moment of discipline in there, before the praise and the toys he is allowed to chew on. He needs to know the basic commands of no, sit, come, down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop by puppy biting? [ 6 Answers ]

My little lab puppy is currently only about 8 weeks old but every time u go to stroke her she will bite you - only playfully of course, but still... they have quite sharp teeth! I was wondering if this is something she is going to grow out of, or if there is something I have to do to stop her doing...

Get my puppy to stop biting [ 8 Answers ]

My 5 month old corgi is still nipping when playing. I've tried saying "no," holding his mouth shut, or giving him his toys to bite instead and he still hasn't gotten it. It's painful now cause his teeth are coming in and he gets very agitated. Is there anything else we can do? Will he grow out...

Nail biting.I can't stop [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have been biting my nails for my whole life basically but its going to worse these past few years. I sit in class and I bit my nails for like the whole period which is kind of gross I think but I don't care what people think about me. Its just the fact that I want to stop biting my...

New puppy won't stop biting! [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new 9 week old pit bull mix a week ago. So far she has tried to bite my jugular 3 times, went after my fiancé several times, and even did it to one of my guests. We don't smack her... we never have so it can't be aggression. We do what can to show her we are boss. But we are...

View more questions Search