Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Justsandy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Clicking noise when furnace is on
    I have clicking in what appears to be the gas line whenever the furnace kicks on. I have heat, the clicking is loudest near the gas line on the water heater, but I can hear it upstairs as well. When the furnace goes off, the clicking stops. Does this sound like a furnace issue or gas company, don't know who to call, can't afford "extra" trips, but don't want to blow up either! Thanks for any input you have
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Is it a continuous click?

Or

Does it click once when the fan turns on, then once when the gas turns on, and one last time when it shuts down? So a total of 3 loud clicks.

Aaron

Dec 2, 2008, 01:16 PM
    It clicks continuously
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 01:23 PM
    There are two things that I can think of:

1) The flame sensor is dirty or bad so it is telling the gas to turn off but it just kicks right back on. If that is the case and it looks dirty you can just use a piece of fine grit sand paper or emery cloth to clean it.

2) The other problem is a bigger one that I've had happen on our older furnace a few times. The ingnition module may not be putting out the signal for the main gas valve to open and that is what is clicking. If that is the case you will need to call a service company and have the module replaced.

Aaron

Dec 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was downstairs trying to figure out what a flame sensor is and noticed it clicks when the water heater burner goes on as well. I assume this makes it a gas company problem and will be calling them. Hpe I don't blow up@!

Sandy

Dec 4, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Turns out the outside meter dial had gotten wet and was frozen. When the gas turned on (for example when the furnace kicked on) the gear inside the meter turned and the out side one stayed immobile, causing a clicking noise. Was a relief since when I called Consumers they made me evacuate the house and showed up with 2 trucks and lights flashing. Thanks for you help!
    SirPoochala Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 03:54 PM

Hi Justsandy -

After reading your thread I called my propane company and the technician said: "I guarantee 100% that it has nothing to do with the tanks (where the meters are) since the tanks aren't grounded to the furnace. Ugh!
    JohnDownn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
    **** I got this **** too
    JohnDownn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
    **** I got this **** too

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My shoulder keeps making a clicking noise! [ 6 Answers ]

My shoudler keeps making a clicking noise when I rotate it. It is stiff and doesn't really hurt. I play softball and am active during that, the rest of the year I sit on my butt lol. Does any body have any clue what is wrong with my shoulder? It has been doing it for several days.

Clicking noise [ 2 Answers ]

What is the clicking noise coming from the furnace?

Clicking noise in computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have an HP a712n that's about 2 yrs old (windows XP) and has not been used all that much. It has recently done this thing where it makes a clicking noise inside the computer and will freeze up. After the first time it did this, I got a brand new Microsoft One Care subscription, did the virus...

Engine makes clicking noise [ 1 Answers ]

On my b & s 11hp engine I hear a clicking noise when it is running I know it isn't the pulley or anything but it is coming from inside the engine/ anyone know why? How to fix it? Thanks

Clicking noise in the pipes [ 1 Answers ]

There is clicking noise in the pipes after I turn the faucets on, which is initially quite rapid & then slows. It started about 3 weeks ago. Thanks

View more questions Search