Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glenys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 06:51 AM
    What to do ? The vet wants to do a hysterectomy?
    Hi, I have a 5yr old female daschund. Recently she got sick, at first her pee has blood so I thought she was just menstruating and then a few days after there was some discharge, a white liquid stuff and then it became a lot, so I eventually brought her to a vet. Did some cbc and X-ray and she said there was pus in her ovaries and the only option is to operate. My dog never had puppies. So I am apprehensive, worried she may not recover or ? Please help. Tnx
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2011, 07:17 AM
    Your vet says the 'only option is to operate' so unless you don't trust your vet and immediately rush to another one for a second opinion, of course you operate. To say you are worried that she might not recover has no logic to it. If a vet says the only option is surgery, that is saying that the dog surely won't recover if you don't have the surgery.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Your dog will not recover at ALL if you don't do surgery. She is 5 years old - she should recover fine from surgery.
    This is one of many reasons to get your dog spayed...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2011, 12:11 PM
    She has pyometra from the sounds of it and yes she should be spayed, it can be deadly if left untreated, you are lucky she was having discharge, many pyometra cases go unnoticed until it's too late.

5 years is too old for a first litter anyway so book her in asap before this turns ugly.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
    I agree with Shazzy.. Pyometra is nothing to mess around with... I don't think there are other options to cure pyometra other than spaying...

Pyometra is one of the number one reasons to spay your pets.. It rears its ugly head at any moment
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Dec 9, 2011, 06:36 PM
    The entire uterus is filled with pus, and she is absorbing some of the toxins from it. Her temp is probably 103 - 105, and WBC over 50,000. She is a very sick girl and will not make it without surgery. Other measures to save valuable breeding dogs have a small percentage of success without surgery, and usually start earlier in the disease. There are grounds to be concerned about her recovery from surgery, but is because her system is under a good deal of strain from the pyometra. This is a risk you are forced to take if you wish to save her life. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is no sugar left in this situation to coat it with. It is no fault of yours, or the dogs, or the vets... it simply is something that happens to many older, intact female dogs.

We all send her, and you, the best of our wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hysterectomy? [ 1 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I had laproscopic surgery to remove several cysts from my ovaries and endometriosis from behind my uterus. Recently I have been having pain in my left lower back and pelvic area. I had a ct scan and it came back that I have several cysts on my left ovary the biggest being 3...

Do I need a Hysterectomy? [ 2 Answers ]

I been told it won't help,but I heard it will .I am 53 yrs old. I had a Leep a year ago.

Supra Hysterectomy [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a laprascopic suprahysterectomy in Jan. I'm 52 and I'm concerned about HRT and what I need to know about hormone therapy. Web sites, other info or personal experience would help me a lot. Thank you.

Vet doctor vs. Vet [ 2 Answers ]

What should I choose between a vet doctor (that could come to my place at any time) or a vet clinic?

Hysterectomy AND HRT [ 2 Answers ]

How long after having a total hysterectomy does one need to be on hormone replacement therapy?

View more questions Search