Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harothaug Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Toilet making banging noise
    When I flush my toilet the supply line makes a banging noise. I thought hammer happens when you turn the flow off. I tried to drain the pipes to empty the air chambers but no luck. The house is about 15 years old with copper plumbing. Thanks for any help.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 09:03 PM
    You may have air still in the lines. Have you flushed [bled out] the house fixtures to get the air out?

Feb 22, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Yes I have tried several times but no luck,thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Sounds more like a washer that came loose or a small pebble that's caught in the4 supply line and is banging against the seat when you flush. Try this, shut the water off at the angle stop and remove the three screws,( if a float ball type) on the top and pull up. The float ball, rod and plunger assembly will come up and out. Check the washer to see if it's seated properly. Now hold your hand over the open ballcock and have someone turn the water on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Did anything come out? Now reassemble anf give it a flush. Is it better now? Regaqrds, Tom

Feb 22, 2007, 05:49 PM
    It is a Fluidmaster supply with a built-in float. I don't see anyway to take it apart.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2007, 07:26 PM
    The black cap at the top of the fill valve should come off when turned a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to the left.

Make sure the stop is turned off before trying this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard Heat Banging Noise [ 11 Answers ]

Hello All, For starters I've searched this topic and haven't found anything that can apply to my situation. To set this up. We have a boiler/baseboard heating system that makes loud banging noises when it cycles off, on the first and second floor zones. When heating up it makes a creaking...

Knocking/banging noise from air ducts [ 4 Answers ]

We just moved in to this 1992 built house, which has a 10 year old furnace. I constantly hear a knocking ( TAK TAK ) mixed with semi loud banging noise from the vents through out our house. It comes from different air ducts. However when I turn off the furnace altogether, the noise stops after a...

Water pipes vibrating and making a noise when the toilet system refills [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet refills you can hear the pipes vibrate and make a noise. I've turned our stop cock to off and then turned it back on slightly and this rectifies the problem but the water then just trickles out. I think it's an air block but I don't know how to check the toilet. All the tapes are...

Loud Banging noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a basement condo a year ago and my neighbors heat pipes goes through my bedroom. Since the day I moved in his furnace has been making clicking and loud banging noises. Last year, we have had a couple of plumbers come in and they have bled the pipes and said that should take care of it....

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search