Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yasmyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
    White stuff coming out of a tongue piercing?
    I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago and I am 3 days ago I realized the whit stiff coming out of the top this is my second time getting it done .and the got pierced it in the same place so I thought that was the reason for the white stuff
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Infection... thats puss.
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Nov 20, 2011, 11:24 PM
    I have one for years now and that is an infection your probably not take care of it the way they instructed you when you get it done. Listen you were suppose to AVOIDS really hot and spicy foods, sticky foods. Eat yogurts, warm soups, jello stuff like that for a few days. Also not suppose to smoke cigarettes and I bet you are not doing the 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 distilled water for rinsingafter meals and stuff. You have to take care of it right or it get infected.
    Cheeze_Babe56 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2011, 03:38 PM
    My sister has told me that is white blood cells or something cleaning out the new piercing. It will go away after awhile. Just be sure to clean it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2011, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeze_Babe56 View Post
    my sister has told me that is white blood cells or something cleaning out the new piercing. it will go away after awhile. just be sure to clean it.

Is your sister a Physician? If not the OP needs to see a Doctor. I recently investigated two very bad infections - one tongue and one navel. Both led to hospitalization.

An unusual discharge requires medical treatment.
    Desireex Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2011, 10:13 PM
    That could be white blood cells trying to heal the piercing. It doesn't necessarily mean it's infected. Because your tongue produces saliva, it cannot produce a scab while healing so the white stuff actually sits around the top or bottom of the piercing and you just have to wipe it off. It isn't a big deal really. Everyone's so quick to say it's an infection when it's a normal part of the healing process. Don't worry, it has to happen for your piercing to fully heal, you should be fine.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2011, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Desireex View Post
    That could be white blood cells trying to heal the piercing. It doesn't necessarily mean it's infected. Because your tongue produces saliva, it cannot produce a scab while healing so the white stuff actually sits around the top or bottom of the piercing and you just have to wipe it off. It isn't a big deal really. Everyone's so quick to say it's an infection when it's a normal part of the healing process. Don't worry, it has to happen for your piercing to fully heal, you should be fine.
    Um that is SOOOO very wrong.

You ARE aware of what white blood cells are and what purpose they serve? You are aware of what is in puss?

They taught you this in basic biology in grade school or at the very least Jr High school.

HowStuffWorks "White Blood Cells"
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Desireex View Post

Please post the source of this medical information. I would not want the OP to delay or avoid medical treatment based on your information without knowing the source.
    FaeMinds Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2011, 10:25 PM
    Actually, with oral piercings, that 'white stuff' is a fact of life just like the crust on external piercings. It definitely doesn't mean an infection is present unless the tongue is !Very tender, Dark red, or !If the secretion is tinged green. The white ooze in oral piercings is totally normal. You know how if you cut your lip by accident, rather than a scab (as with an external injury - and that's what a piercing is, an injury)there is a white film. Now, your tongue doesn't really scab exactly, but it does secrete a sticky whitish-yellowish fluid that looks, well, kind of like snot. Take some Motrin, swish with warm salt water (boil the water, let it cool, ad 1/2 tsp per 8oz water) twice daily. Don't eat spicy stuff,don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, don't put other people's bodyparts in your mouth, try to avoid dairy. Throat lozenges are really soothing, both because of their numbing effect and the suck motion. Be gentle, and patient with your new piercings. Tongues heal very fast, although it's REALLY uncomfortable at first, it will be over soon.

I'm no doctor, clearly, but I've worked in the same studio for seven years now. I pierce tongues pretty much on the daily.
    CassieSkinner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 12:14 AM
    I just got my tongue pierced and it is 100% normal. Mine did the same on the top and bottom ball. And I smoked. And ate spicy foods. And all the stuff basically you're not supposed to do because I didn't realize at first what all there was that you weren't supposed to do lol the most important thing is to clean it after every time you eat, drink (besides water), smoke, etc. But don't kiss anyone or exchange any bodily fluids, because you don't know how clean their mouth is and it could get infected. I researched for 2 days after I got mine and started seeing the same thing. Even asked my aunt who is a nurse. If its whitish light yellow colored it is a scab. Unless you can wipe it off easily, like you would with puss, it is a scab. I messed with mine with a q-tip, came off and was bleeding. Obviously a scab. You're fine, don't let these people tell you you're not. It's mind over matter. You think you're going to get sick? Even if you're not, you will. How your brain works. So take care of it, rinse twice a day with salt water after breakfast and lunch, and with non-alcoholic mouthwash after dinner or before bed, don't touch it with your hands, take plenty of anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen (I recommend 3 200mg pills 2-3 times a day), and make sure to work your tongue. Keep the muscle moving. I know you have a lisp the first few days but don't give in to it, I've known people who have gotten stuck with it. The second day I had mine done the lisp was gone because I kept talking and enunciating things. Sorry for writing a book lol just enjoy your new piece of body art and take good care of it(:
    clpietlock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 03:18 PM
    I just got mine done 3 days ago. I was talking fine the same day. Although on the second day I had a horrible lisp when I woke up, since my tongue was swollen. If your keep up with the ibprofun, and ice chips you should be fine. I have been talking a lot for the past few days, some words are harder to say, and a lisp hits in every now and again. I had the white stuff around mine the next day. My problem is the top ball looks like it is going into my tongue, but I researched it and found out that it's only because my tongueis still swollen, and it will go down and so will the dent.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clpietlock View Post
    I just got mine done 3 days ago. I was talking fine the same day. Although on the second day I had a horrible lisp when I woke up, since my tongue was swollen. If your keep up with the ibprofun, and ice chips you should be fine. I have been talking alot for the past few days, some words are harder to say, and a lisp hits in every now and again. I had the white stuff around mine the next day. My problem is the top ball looks like it is going into my tongue, but I researched it and found out that it's only because my tongueis still swollen, and it will go down and so will the dent.
    This is from November 2011 - it's probably resolved itself by now, probably not still using ice chips and ibuprofin.
    mlmlmlm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Ew, why is that guy so sassy? I've had my tongue pierced twice & it's normal. It's white blood cells.. your body takes it as an injury at first. It's totally normal. Ask any piercer.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
    "That guy" is simply saying this thread is old. Very few "guys" are named Judy and post an actual photo.

Eww.
    mlmlmlm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
    That should probably be your sign I wasn't talking about you LMAO
    Shawna229 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Today is Thursday an I got my tongue pierced Friday an I think my barbell is too small its not long enough an its sunk in my tongue an has begun producing the white clear fluid but I'm scared its going to close on top of the ball what do I do
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2013, 08:22 AM
    Call the piercer before you need antibiotics.
    lencipierced Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Im having the same problem where the other day it formed and it went away and now Im have it coming from both the top and bottom my piercing is 5 days old I'm extremely cautious and I definitely don't want my tongue of all to be infected please reassure me in knowing this is normal and about how long will it last if it is? And also my tongue is tender or tingly near the tip is that normal please help I DO NOT want an infected tongue thanks!
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 11:17 AM
    No, it's not normal. You may not want an infected tongue, but it sounds like you have one.

You need to seek medical treatment. An infection in your tongue spreads very, very quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing, need answers, swollen tongue, don't know what to do, is this normal? [ 5 Answers ]

I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago, and its still really swollen, I can't talk properly, can't eat and its sooooo uncomfortable. There is also stuff that looks furry all over my tongue, I went back to my piercer and he said just to clean it with a soft bristle toothbrush, but it still comes back. I...

Tongue piercing rubber band from spacer stuck in tongue [ 3 Answers ]

6 years ago had my tongue pierced, no problems; about 3 months afterwards, I used a clear spacer w/clear small rubber band to keep it open---well, the piercing got extremely sore and when I went to take the spacer out, it seems that the clear rubber band either got stuck while taking the spacer...

My son is 5 and he has a little bit of white stuff coming from the neck of his penis [ 1 Answers ]

This white stuff looks like a splinter and it's just under the rim of the head. His doctor said it was to keep the skin attached to the penis and not to worry it's normal. I have never heard of this before. Have u ?

Sticky white stuff coming from my vagina [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 13 years old,girl, All the time I have sticky white stuff in my underwear where my vaginal area is and its always making my underwear wet, Is there anyway I can stop this, Please help, Thanks, Woriiedgirl123, xx

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

View more questions Search