Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lava_surfer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Can't remove key from Honda Civic ignition on cold days
    I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX sedan. On cold days (below 5C/40F) I cannot remove the key from the ignition after the car has been running. I live in Canada, so this makes for a very frustrating driving experience from November to April. A friend of mine has an Accord of similar vintage, and has the same problem.

The only solution I've found is to heat the ignition for a couple of minutes, either with a heat-n-strip or a Bic lighter. Anyone have any thoughts on a better solution (one that doesn't risk setting fire to my car or making me lose my fingerprints)?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 07:28 AM
    Sounds like the pins are sticking... not an uncommon thing for any lock that old.

Next time you have the key out, spray a brief shot of WD-40 (or other lubricant for locks) in there then put the key in and out and in and out to try to work it up into the pins.

If that does not solve the issue - at least for a reasonable period - you may need to have that lock replaced... or just keep a spare stashed in your car for the times you cannot get it out.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 08:06 AM
    The problem may be that somebody sprayed it with WD-40. Once you spray something with it, you need to reapply it frequently. You might try spraying it with a silicone first. If that doesn't work, you may need to take everything apart and clean it.

If it is an automatic, have you tried wiggling the gearshift? The problem could be the interlock, or the release on a manual.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 08:41 AM
    Great point re the WD-40...

I agree; a silicone spray would be more effective.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2005, 11:38 AM
    Key
    Why take the key out?

Merely get a second key to open the doors and if it won't come out, just leave it in. 91 Civic not on the high list of stolen cars.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 21, 2005, 04:40 PM
    You can turn the key all the way to the point that you only have to pull it straight out, and it won't go? Or you cannot even get in a position to just have to pull the key straight out?

When I shut my engine down, I have to turn the key to "I", then push it slightly in, and turn it to "0", then pull it straight out. It will NEVER go all the way to "0" without pushing it in some. Is the same thing happening to you, or you can just turn it all the way to "0" without pushing it in some?
    waikiki59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2006, 11:54 AM
    I have a 91 Civic auto, 3dr/hb. 208,000km (130000miles)I also live in Canada, (on southern Vancouver Island), I started having the same problem removing the key from ignition last summer, so with me it's not weather (cold)related, especially since even in winter the temps here rarely go below 5c(40f). The problem only happens about 50% of the time I try to shut off the car. The key will turn counter clock wise as far as the accessory position, where you then have to push it in , but after pushing it in, it won't turn to the final position that allows the key to be remove. When this happens I have to wiggle, jiggle, and bang the snot out the steering wheel and then it will work. I was told it's because it's warn out, and the ignition switch need to be replaced or repaired.True? How hard, or easy is it to remove it from the steering column? I heard the mounting screws brake off very easily. :eek:
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Mar 11, 2006, 04:30 PM
    It's one of two possibilities. Either the cable from the shifter has lost some tension and is only working sporadically or the solenoid is defective. I'm leaning toward the solenoid because temperature can affect the delicate switching mechanism and the warmer weather is expanding it enough to make the connection.
    Often times soda or coffee is spilled into the shifting housing with can cause a gum up. It is fairly easy to remove the housing, being careful not to FORCE anything. Use a plastic putty knife available in the paint section of your hardware store. This will be more forgiving as you feel out where the clips are. Than look for any obvious foreign materials in the works. Than give it a couple of judicious squirts of WD40 or similar product (not anything oily, that will attract dirt). Each time moving the shifter to allow it to work in and dissolve anything sticky.
    If that doesn't have any effect you may want to check the solenoids. One is in the shifter and one is in the steering column. If you don't feel comfortable with troubleshooting your electrical system be warned that you can create a far worse problem if you cook the on board computer. Good luck.
    cablemonkey Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2011, 05:46 PM
    I had a similar problem but mine was electrical. Here's my fix: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/go/explore.php?do=showthread&sort=newest&t=55351

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda civic ex starting problem in cold, wet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Civic EX (2 door) that has a strange problem. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. I can not start the car in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have changed the spark plug...

92 Honda Civic - black smoke for a few minutes after starting on a cold day [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honda Civic 92 with twin cabi. In the past few months, every morning the engine starts normally for a few minutes, then the black smoke comes out of the exhaust, at the same time the idle is dropping and the engine is shacking. These symptoms appeared at the same time. If I rip up the...

91 Honda Civic Ignition Switch [ 3 Answers ]

I need instructions for replacing a 91 Honda Civic ignition "lock" switch. I have to replace the whole unti not just the tumblers. Thanks.

View more questions Search