Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillwtsn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 08:27 AM
    MY puppy won't poop on the pee pad but is already peeing on it all the time? WHY?
    We got our puppy a week and a half ago. We live in a condo so it makes the most sense for her during the winter to use pee pads. We trained her to use the pad and if she would pee or poo we would give her praise and a give her a treat. Unfortunately she has only been peeing on the pad. She rarely makes an accident with pee but she will not poo anywhere near the pad. We tried setting up two pads to see if she would pee on one and poo on the other but she will only pee on both. I don't know what to do to convince her to poo on the pads as well. She can't go outside because she is 3 pounds and still has very little fur for our below zero weather. Any suggestions?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Leave a dirty potty pad out that still has poop on it.

The only reason she pees on the pad is because they are prescented to entice puppies to go potty on the pad.

I realize you don't have a backyard, but keep in mind that with teaching puppies to potty on a potty pad, you are, ultimately teaching your dog to potty in the house on a specific type of surface and in a specific room. 5 years from now, do you still want your dog to potty in your house? Newspapers, towels and other flat surfaces with a spongy feel to them are fair game for your dog to use as a toilet.

What I would suggest for apartment dwellers that have no choice but to have a dog potty indoors is to get a potty POD... It's a grass-type box that smaller dogs use as a bathroom. They are easy to clean and simulate actual grass which is more natural for a dog to use. I have heard nothing but good things about them from little dog owners that live in apartments, condos or just don't feel comfortable with little dogs going outside.

https://www.porchpotty.com/
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Nov 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Yea yea I agree with potty pod because it like grass and why do you have him do it on newspaper inside that is definitely NOT a good idea. He associate papers in the house with doing his diddle on them. Sigh. Unfortuantely since he is a puppy you have to be willing to take him out for more walks instead of 2 walks for a longer time. Puppies cannot hold their bladder or poo for a long time. She can go outside if you dresses her correctly like why not put one of those puffy coats on her for dogs? Or a sweater to keep her warm.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
    A puppy at 3 pounds should not be outside in some climates. I agree with Lucky about the grass-like boxes.

What breed is she?
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Nov 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Put her on the sweater so she can go outside in it
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHoneyVintage View Post
    put her on the sweater so she can go outside in it

I believe the dog's owner - "She can't go outside because she is 3 pounds and still has very little fur for our below zero weather. Any suggestions?"
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2011, 02:14 AM
    I have a hairless dog and we have winters that get below zero... Mine was trained to go on puppy pads inside until the weather warmed up.
    Now he is an adult he goes outside with his coat on.

Agree with the grass patches, they are a fabulous idea but it means having to train the dog 3 times in total. You have already trained to pads, now you have to train to the grass patch, but it will make the third set of training and the transition to outside easier.

I never had a grass patch but certainly will be getting one for my next pup, there were many, many accidents with the pee pads until I finally trained him to go outside.
    bunn222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 01:26 PM
    My puppy is about 3lb now,, I put on a sweater and take him outside for walks,, he uses pee pad also for potty,, he sometimes goes potty outside,sometimes don't. We encourage him to so that it'll be easier when we eventually transition to pottying outside,, as we take him out more, he got more and more comfortable with the cold weather,, we took him out at least every other day for last two weeks an he likes it,, oh, as for the pooping problem, we had the problem also for a few weeks, when we first got him, and we did leave a piece of poop on the pad and it worked!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my dog pee on a pad but not poop ? What does she all of sudden have accident [ 6 Answers ]

My dog always pee on a pad or outside she is 10 weeks old , but all of a sudden she started to pee on the floor what happened ? Also she only pees on her pad never poops on it why does she do that ?

My 41/2 month pug-What to do when puppy does not poop or pee at its scheduled time? [ 3 Answers ]

When she does not poop or pee at her scheduled time, & we have to go out, do we just leave her in the crate & go away for few hours? Do they hold until you come back & take them? Or, do I leave crate door open & leave the wee wee pad outside crate area so she can do it there (she does do on the pad...

Puppy suddenly stopped peeing outside... and holds pee for a long time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 5 months old puppy. We got him at 2 months, and started potty training him right away. We would bring him outside every couple of hours and he would also sit by the door and whine when he needs to go. He has been behaving pretty consistently, and rarely had any accidents inside. And a...

Uses pee pad to pee, but never to poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Chihuahua that’s about 3 months and I trained him to use pee pads in the house, he was doing really good so then I bought a litter box with no lid and put his pee pad in there to try and get him to be box trained, he wouldn’t use it, and started peeing and pooping on the floor, so I took...

View more questions Search