Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonovanBecky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 04:54 PM
    MTD Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start
    I have a MTD Yardman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It will not start. First, I have just installed a new battery. When you turn the ignition nothing happens. I have checked all the wires and connections, but can't find anything wrong. It seems to me that it's got to be the starter, ignition switch, clutch switch, I just don't know what would be the most likely place for there to be a problem. I did find a fuse (20amp) off the wire to the battery but it was fine. Any suggestions before I have to take it to the shop?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Did you connect the battery correctly? What about the blade engagement switch or lever, have you tried moving it? Did you put the mower in neutral?
    josep327 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 04:57 AM
    My riding mower will not start. New battery was installed properly. When you turn the swicth nothing happens.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2011, 07:54 AM

Check your safety switches,
    But first recheck all connections on new battrery , check ground going to engine . You didn't give a model , but it will have a inline fuse some where check that too.
    Luck
    ArtMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 08:17 AM
    I had a similar problem with my Yard Man riding mower. Spent hours checking all sources. Replaced battery, check safety switches and fuse. All were good. As a last resort, I cut the two wires going to the fuse holder and connected them together. Turned the ignition switch and the engine started. Fuse holder was bad. Replaced the fuse holder for $1.69.
    ArtMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 08:23 AM
    I had a similar problem with my Yard Man. Checked all sources including fuse. All were good. Cut the wires to fuse holder and connected them together to by pass fuse. Engine started. Fuse holder was bad. Purchased a new one for $1.69.
    bran164 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Where did you find the fuse holder? Mine has done the same thing and I can't find anyone who carries it. Do you have a part number?
    manmountain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 08:52 PM
    No where are the safety switches?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd yardman 16.5hp mower will not start [ 41 Answers ]

I just brought home a used, but in very good shape, MTD yardman mower. It has the 16.5 hp Briggs mower with the 7-speed shift on the go tranny. It also is the industrial/commercial model. For some reason, the thing will not crank. The engine will spin and gas will go to the carb, but it acts...

Yardman Riding Mower won't start! [ 4 Answers ]

The following is my sad tale of woe: we got an MTD Yardman 12.5 HP riding mower about three years ago (used) and it always worked like a charm! In August, we transported it, on a pickup truck with ramps, to our new home! Since that day, it absolutely will not start. We have gotten a new...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My John Deere riding mower won't start. I replaced the battery and it started. I turned off the tractor and tried to start again and it failed. How can one tell if the problem is the starter or the solenoid? :)

My riding mower will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have basically given it a tune up... I have change the gas filter, changed the spark plug and the air filter doesn't appear to need to be changed. The battery turns over real good but it will not start, it appears to not be getting gas. Also I checked the fuse and it appears to be okay also. ...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I started the mower, MTD Yardman 17.5 hp B&S, cut the lawn and put it away. I tried to start it a couple days later and it wouldn't start. I did not even get a "click" from the starter solenoid. I was able to jump start it with a portable jump pack. After turning it off it would not start. I...

View more questions Search