Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lorrie49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Toilet phantom flushes
    My toilet makes a `phantom flushing` noise every so often day and night. The water runs in the toilet slightly but it doesn`t actually flush. It is a Kohler and I believe it is a water conserving unit-it was in the house when we bought it 9 years ago but only the last year or so it has been doing this noise.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
    The flapper valve needs replaced.

Not sure? Put a few drops of food coloring in the tank... bet you find colored water in the bowl in a few hours at most as it leaks into the bowl.

They cost less than $5 at Lowe's or Home Depot. And don't last forever.

Asuming its not a pressure flush unit, but a gravity flush.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Nov 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Do you have hard water? Open your toilet tank and check the rubber flapper/stopper (I don't know the technical name) that closes the hole at the bottom. You are looking for reasons that may not have a good seal to close off the flapper and stop water leaking through after you've flushed, which is what's making this partial flush sound. There are a few reasons it might not be. Check for build up of sediment in tank. You'd need to clean that out if that's the case. Also clean around the entire edge of the flapper or replace with a clean new one. If heavy sediment is a problem you ought to get your water fixed. If, however, the water in tank and bottom of tank is all clear, also check your chain that attaches between that flapper and the handle that flushes the toilet. If it's too long it may be dangling under edge of flapper and causing a slow leak of sorts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking toilet shut off valve when toilet flushes, how to fix? [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet shut off valve leaks but ONLY while the toilet is filling up after being flushed. I've looked at numerous articles on how to repair the valve but I'm not sure what part exactly is broken. What part is it mostly likely to need replacing if it's leaking only when the toilet is filling up?

Toilet flushes (seemingly) but water comes out of 2 holes at bottom of base of toilet [ 2 Answers ]

The toilet flushes however water comes out of the one hole on each side at the base of the toilet. The toilet was clogged 1 day before... I'm guessing the clog has moved further downstream?? These 2 holes at base of (american standard ) toilet - 1 drilled on each side maybe 1/2 inch from ground -...

Toilet flushes completely every 5 flushes [ 0 Answers ]

My toilet only does full complete flushes about every 5-7 flushes. My other toilet on the same floor is fine and the one in the basement works perfect also.

When Neighbor flushes his toilet, mine flushes too [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a two level condo. When my neighbor who lives behind me flushes his or her toilet, my toilet on the first level flushes as well. It's not a full flush, but when I take the lid off the tank, the refill valve is open and water seems to flow from the tank into the toilet. I'm not sure why...

Phantom toilet refilling [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last several weeks, I have noticed that the toilet will run for about 10 seconds, although it is not being used. It seems to coincide with using the kitchen or bathtub drains. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

View more questions Search