Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BS_07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 02:07 PM
    Will being around marijuana show up in a hair follicle test if not smoking it yourself?
    My ex smokes marijuana and I'm trying to get a really good job, so I don't want to be around him smoking it because I'm scared it will be found in the hair follicle drug test this employer uses. But, I miss hanging out with my friends because they also are avid pot smokers. Can I be around others smoking marijuana without it being found in the test? I'd say there's usually a group of 1-10 smoking... what are the limits if you can be around it??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 03:07 PM

If you want the job stay away from your friends for awhile. Anything in the air can show up on your hair and clothing. And the longer your exposed to it the less you will smell it and the more intense it may become in concentration.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 06:47 PM

If you are breathing enough of the second hand smoke, yes it can, there may be some that disagree but you can even get a buzz from it.

Next remember if they are smoking and the police come in, you all get arrested, and changed with drugs even if you don't have it on you. In fact at least here in GA, if three of you are in the park, and one gets stopped with drugs on them, guess what, they can actually arreest all of you.

If you want to have a good job, you dump losers who use drugs
    BS_07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 04:45 PM
    Thank you both!!
    yubi_azknfrt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Does external exposure to certain drugs, like marijuana or crack smoke, affect the hair results? All hair samples that produce a positive screening result are washed extensively to remove external contamination and may be re-screened for the potential positive drug. If the secondary hair screen is positive and the ratio of the wash solution is greater than 10% of the confirmation result, the lab will consider this sample contaminated. If the ratio of the wash solution is less than 10% of the confirmation result, the lab will consider the sample as positive. Marijuana does not follow the wash patterns of the other drugs. To rule out the possibility of external contamination for marijuana, the lab detects ONLY the metabolite (THC-COOH) which is only produced by the body and cannot be an environmental contaminant. In addition, the lab will NOT analyze pubic hair for the presence of the THC-COOH metabolite.

Folks, The THC is gone when it gets burnt up in flames! Whether in your lungs, the air, or on your HAIR even, the THC-COOH metabolites they look for are GOOOOONE! And no, you can not get high from second hand smoke, for it has already been ON FIRE! The closest I can see 2nd hand smoke coming into play is if there was a Vulcanizer(weed steamer) being used and there were multiple people stacked/crowded around it breathing like sumo-wrestlers after a lengthy rough and tumble sumo match... don't do drugs!! Smoke weed... god gave animals grass... he gave US medicine! T
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yubi_azknfrt View Post
    Does external exposure to certain drugs, like marijuana or crack smoke, affect the hair results? All hair samples that produce a positive screening result are washed extensively to remove external contamination and may be re-screened for the potential positive drug. If the secondary hair screen is positive and the ratio of the wash solution is greater than 10% of the confirmation result, the lab will consider this sample contaminated. If the ratio of the wash solution is less than 10% of the confirmation result, the lab will consider the sample as positive. Marijuana does not follow the wash patterns of the other drugs. To rule out the possibility of external contamination for marijuana, the lab detects ONLY the metabolite (THC-COOH) which is only produced by the body and cannot be an environmental contaminant. In addition, the lab will NOT analyze pubic hair for the presence of the THC-COOH metabolite.

Folks, The THC is gone when it gets burnt up in flames! Whether in your lungs, the air, or on your HAIR even, the THC-COOH metabolites they look for are GOOOOONE! And no, you can not get high from second hand smoke, for it has already been ON FIRE! The closest I can see 2nd hand smoke coming into play is if there was a Vulcanizer(weed steamer) being used and there were multiple people stacked/crowded around it breathing like sumo-wrestlers after a lengthy rough and tumble sumo match....don't do drugs!!! Smoke weed...god gave animals grass....he gave US medicine! , T

Here are 3 differing opinions on this subject from the one quoted above. Make your own choices.

TeenHealthFX - Answers - Worried About 2nd Hand Marijuana Smoke

Does Second Hand Marijuana Smoke Affect a Drug Test? | Healthhype.com

Pharmacy: second hand marijauna smoke, drug test marijuana, hair follicles
    diannewarren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Can marijuana smoke get into your hair and cause you to not pass a hair drug test?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diannewarren View Post
    Can marijuana smoke get into your hair and cause you to not pass a hair drug test?
    Very important not to intermix drug tests. Second hand cannabis smoke is very unlikely to show up in a urine test. Can certainly show up in a hair test.

The washing techniques vary from one lab to another. At best they are 85% effective and perhaps as low as 60%.

Also reporting systems vary from one lab to another. One may report only COOH in hair, another THC and COOH as a ratio. Unless the test is federally regulated there is nothing to prevent this. Private employers, courts, and all of the un-regulated testing industry (80%) can order and rely on any test method they choose.

Second-hand, sidestream cannabis smoke can definitely influence results of a hair test.

Ref.

Huestis, 2009; 2008
    Auwater, etal (2010)
    Musshoff & Madea (2006)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will suboxone show up as an opiate on hair follicle test [ 8 Answers ]

Hi - I have been on suboxone maintenance for over a year and a half and credit this medication as at least half the reason I have been able to stay clean. According to 12-step groups, if prescribed and taking it as prescribed, you are considered clean. My problem is that I need to take a hair...

Marijuana in a hair follicle test [ 16 Answers ]

My son has never done any type of drugs before, he went to the beach this past summer and tried Marijuana. He said he only took 3 puffs and never tried it again. It has been about 75 days and he has to have a hair follicle drug test, would that be enough to show up in it? He is so worried.

Hair follicle testing for marijuana [ 1 Answers ]

I smoked marijuana about a month and a half ago and now have to take a hair follicle test, am I safe?

Marijuana, hair follicle test will he pass [ 3 Answers ]

My son has to take a hair follicle in mid January he was in a rehab for 7 months and got out in sept. he relapsed but did not smoke much maybe a blunt and couple joints from what I understand but nothing since beginning of December will it show up:(

View more questions Search