Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarapaige Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Piece of tooth left in gums?
    Earlier this year I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. The top two teeth were rotting and nearly half of each of them had broken off. I have since noticed something sticking out of the side of my gums where one of the top teeth used to be. It hasn't actually broken through the skin, it's just poking out a little. Could this be a piece of the tooth that was left in my gums? It has started to bother me more than it did at first so I'm starting to get a little worried as to what it might be and that I will probably have to pay to get it removed when it's not my fault it's there in the first place. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 03:56 PM
    I have had this, and it worked its way out. It did get a little sore and it feels as though it is huge but when it comes out it will be really small. You could get a pair of tweezers and try to pull it out. I would not be to worried about it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
    You had better get this taken care of or could cause a gum abcess but at the same time when your tongue is exploring that area any piece of food feels like a mountain if you know what I mean. Have you actually felt around with your finger and found something sharp?
    If so, get back to whoever did the work and tell them you are not paying (anything additional until the job is completed and apparently it may not have been.
    tarapaige Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Yes, I have felt with my finger and it is definitely something in my gums. It has been there for a few months but is just now starting to bother me when it rubs on my cheek. Thanks for your answers!
    caramia333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 01:44 PM
    That is called bony edges, Small sharp bone fragments may work up through the gums during healing. These are not roots.. Just go in and get them removed, no big deal its common after an extraction...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks, caramia, for your response as a new Poster, but this thread is from 2007 and the OP probably will not be back. Please check the dates on the threads before posting and wasting your time.

Tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 06:34 AM
    I was going to say the same thing. Thanks tickle! :)
    zinfandoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 11:30 PM
    Thank you caramia333 it was helpful to me.
    Tiboz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 08:02 AM
    I have a similar problem but I had a cavity between two teeth and had one removed hoping to fill the other since its not that bad. I have kept the removed one it's broken at the root and I suspect the piece is now buried by my gums. Its only day two now and the pain is not completely gone. Should I wait and see or should I contact my dentist. Please advise me
    SV2971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
    I had one of my upper back molars removed a month ago and I'm feeling something like that as well. I have no dental insurance left whatsoever until January of next year and here it's only mid November. I am worried that this will get worse before it gets better.
    Daali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
    This happened to me after an Extraction, took about 2 months before it had worked its way out long enough for me to just grab it and pull it out, it did not hurt at all.

First I thought it was a mistake on the dentists part that they had left a piece of my tooth in the hole after extraction, but after doing some research I have concluded that it's what caramia said, a bone fragment, its about the size of a grain of rice, not as thick though abit thinner then that :)
    i am a penis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 01:58 PM
    I was asking myself the same question :) thanks for everybody

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cyst on my gums [ 2 Answers ]

On Sunday I noticed that my gums were feeling kind of "mushy" for lack of better term. By Sunday night to the left of my front tooth my gums were extremely red, and there was a visible bump. Monday morning the "bump" was big enough that I can feel it past the base of my nose and as wide as the...

Sore gums [ 2 Answers ]

After flossing, one of my gums became sore and a little puffy/bigger. What could that mean?

Sore Gums [ 2 Answers ]

About two weeks ago I had my tooth extracted everything was fine I tried not to eat on that side of my mouth. Then this Saturdays I brushed my teeth and I must of brushed to hard cause the area where the tooth was extracted from bleed a little on my tooth brush since then my tooth as not stop...

Receding gums, how much longer do I have? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 23 year old female and the last time I went to a dentist it was at a free clinic so they could pull a rotten tooth. I have several cavities that need to be filled from over a year ago, and I hardly have any enamal on my teeth you can practically see through the top two. Also my gums are...

Painful gums [ 2 Answers ]

How do I know if I have gengevitis? I have a sore in my upper right gum and its really red all around it and it hurts no matter what I'm doing, also the tooth under the sore hurts really bad?

View more questions Search