Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 09:21 AM
    F2 code displayed on Whirlpool gas range
    I have a Whirlpool gas oven/range, model # WFG114SVQO. When using/preheating oven, clock display will change to "F2", signal beeps continuously, & oven shuts off. This only occurs with oven door closed. If door is open/ajar, it will function normally. What does "F2" mean?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
    Check your vent, it sounds as if it is clogged. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
    The oven cavity vents through to the range top, and there is no blockage. Does anyone know what "F2" means specifically?
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
    I got the following from a search: Hi
    Thanks for using FixYa. Error F2 in your range/oven indicates oven temperature sensor circuit failure. To resolve this issue you'll have to check the oven temp. sensor circuit if the reading is more then 1100ohms then it should be replaced however, if the rating is fine then it is the Electronic Range Control (ERC) that has gone bad & should be replaced. Please rate the solution if the issue is resolved or post a comment for further assistance. (see:http://www.fixya.com/support/t6559271-model_wfg114svqo_gas_range) DrTom4444

Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to suspect the sensor, as this only occurs with the door completely closed.
    twiggy2cents Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 05:06 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing to T. Did you ever figure out what it was?
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2011, 06:13 PM
    You need to use a good digital meter available at any Radio Shack or Home Depot to find out what is wrong. Don't ever guess with electrical problems. DrTom4444
    twiggy2cents Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 06:22 PM
    I did that. I am only guessing because there is a lack of diagnosing available. At room temp it is between 1000-1100ohm. At 300* it is ~1500 ohm's. So either it has a intermittent short at one certain temp, or the erc is bad. It is more of an educated guess. Both parts are $50-70 and I have the same symptoms. According to the tests the temp sensor is good, but I would be very upset if I replaced the erc to find out that the temp sensor shorts at one specific temp. Also it does this 1-2 times on warm up, after that it will bake/broil like normal. If I disconnect the temp sensor I get an F3 indicating that the temp sensor is open(verifying that it is not shorted in the erc or wires). It will beep for about 10 minutes when the F2 error comes up. Looking at the circuits and connections of the erc, nothing is visibly burnt or damaged.
    gosouth99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 12:07 PM
    My Range error-ed out with an F2. I replaced the control circuit board/panel (I'm assuming that's the ERC referred to above. It houses the bake/broil controls, etc). It STILL errors with F2. Where is the Oven Sensor Temperature Circuit located on the unit? I'm repairing by replacement here. This is what I get for buying this on Craigslist. Always test what you buy on CL!
    Ps. I paid $45 + $10 shipping for a factory control board for my Whirlpool gas oven/range, model # WFG114SVQO. Control board part # W10108310 (white) from Universal Parts - Pro/Supply. Very nice folks there. 1-877-363-8648. Pro/Supply #(same online co.) 1-877-652-0031. This was the cheapest price I found online for a new factory item. Make sure you ask for the right color if you need something other than white. It averaged $90-$120 retail everywhere else online. So where's the oven sensor temp. circuit again?
    viper2max Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Loose Ground Wire Caused F2 Code.

The solution drtom4444 gave helped a lot. Thanks!
    Here are a few things I learned while fixing my Whirlpool Range WFG231LVSO.
    1) The oven temperature sensor has a reading of 1100 ohms at room temperature and goes up as the temperature rises (example: at ~300*F the ohms were at ~1600) ); my sensor was working properly and so I went on the ERC .
    2) I looked at the back of the electronic range control (ERC) circuit board for burn marks or brown spots and didn't find any. I knew it could still be bad, but if it had dark spots it would be good confirmation it was bad.
    3) Being puzzled that the board looked good, I started to look elsewhere and I found the ground wire from the ERC to the oven frame seemed a little loose. I screwed it in tight to the frame to make sure the ground was solid and the oven was fixed! No more F2 codes!
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
    That's a good way to find the problem. It's usually the smallest things that cause the most trouble. I had a car where the turn signals would not work right and found that there was a loose ground wire causing the problem. A loose ground wire in a new range tells the computer that the pilot is not lit.
    cjohnson44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2013, 11:24 PM
    Has same issue, this is a common problem. Removed the back cover and no more F2 error. Apparently there is a lack of ventilation and the circuit board gets too hot. Now removing cover might not be safe but it resolved the issue and I didn't waste money buying board parts that would not resolve. If there is an additional code after F2 then probably have a different issue, but for me removing the cover stopped the board from getting hot and thus no F2. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool gas range error code [ 1 Answers ]

Error code "Loc". Stove top burners not working

Whirlpool GS445LELS Gas Range oven issues [ 1 Answers ]

A few months ago the oven got overly hot while baking. I mean very hot. It never did that again, but every so often (maybe once a month) it would seem to undercook, or run cool. We never thought too much of it because we use it a lot and 98% of the time, it was fine. Today my wife stuck a...

Whirlpool self-cleaning gas range, oven not igniting. [ 0 Answers ]

First off let me express thanks to anyone reading this and willing to offer their time and expertise to help. I have a Whirlpool gas range model SF379LEK. For some time now it has been temperamental when trying to light the oven. The electronic controls seem fine, it just will not ignite after...

My Whirlpool Gas Range keeps tripping the breaker [ 27 Answers ]

My oven is about a year and a half old. I haven't had a single problem with my oven until about 4 weeks ago. I set the temperature to 350 and suddenly while heating it trips the breaker. And I cannot turn the breaker back on until the oven cools. I tried setting a lower temperature and it did the...

View more questions Search