Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kenny Everett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Storing opened red wine
    Hi.
    Anyone able to tell me how I store red wine which has been opened? Particularly interested for very hot weather as it is currently hot here in Auckland! We have quite good bottle 'stoppers', but not sure what to do re temperature etc.
    Thanks,
    Kenny
    Danno123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Kenny, it depends on how long you want to keep it. If it will be a couple of days before you get to it again, you should keep recorked and in a temp of about 55-60 degrees F. I wouldn't let it sit more than a few days anyway because it will turn on you. The best thing to do is just drink it. It's great for the heart and take some dark chocolate with it while you're at it.
    Living here in Italy, we usually have a bottle finished within 2 days, or one depending on how happy you want to be!
    Dan
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Or cook with it! There are some great recipes that involve marinating in red wine or making a reduction sauce.
    Danno123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Cooking is good too. I just saw an episode of "Boy meets Grill" and he made a wine reduction sauce and marinated a flank steak in red wine. Looked great!
    Danno
    Kenny Everett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the helpful advice!
    Kenny
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 20, 2007, 12:46 PM
    There are a variety of factors that come into play here, namely;
    * Average room temperature
    * Temperature range
    * Amount of wine remaining in the bottle
    * Style of wine.

Now a cooler room temp will enable the wine to be keep longer, room temp is considered to be 18C.
    Small Temperature range is better, plus or minus a couple of degress.
    The more air in the bottle the faster the wine will oxidise.
    Big heavy reds, like Ozzie Shiraz, are more forgiving than light, Gamay, stlyes.

Now for the length of time to keep an open bottle.
    From experience, I would say MAX of a week if in a fridge and no more than 3 days if at room temp, unless it's a very cold room.
    After this time the wine starts to suffer from oxidisation and looses fruit and balance.
    All this assumes that all you are doing is just putting the cork back in the bottle to seal it.
    There are a number of "wine saving" stoppers on the market that remove excess air from the bottle in the hopes of keeping it fresher longer.
    One of the better ones is called Vacuvin. If one of these systems are used you may double the keeping times.

Hope this sheds some light on your problem.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben

From experience, I would say MAX of a week if in a fridge and no more than 3 days if at room temp, unless it's a very cold room.
    I absolutely agree. If it's a good bottle of wine, I won't open it unless I know it'll be gone within 3 days, though the fridge does buy you a little time as mentioned.

of course, an opened bottle of good wine will rarely be left lonely for long in my house. They have a way of calling for you later in the evening when its time to wind down. =)
    kerrie14 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Everett
    Hi.
    Anyone able to tell me how I store red wine which has been opened? Particularly interested for very hot weather as it is currently hot here in Auckland! We have quite good bottle 'stoppers', but not sure what to do re temperature etc.
    Thanks,
    Kenny
    If you are looking to store it for a couple of days, you can put it in the refrigerator. Just bring back to optimum temperature before drinking.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 01:27 PM
    I hate Bobby Flay!

He's so condescending to other people! But red wine is good! But as above it will turn since it's been exposed to air, so do something with it within a week
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Everett
    Hi.
    Thanks,
    Kenny
    Red wine should be stored in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight. If storing for a few weeks it's best to store it resting on its side, to keep cork moist. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-5 days without compromising the flavor. When ready to use it, let it sit at room temperature before drinking. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Storing pistols - who is best desiccant vendor [ 2 Answers ]

I am preparing to display two WWII pistols in shadow boxes. The guns have sentimental value. Each box is 10" x 12" x 3" and can be made air-tight. I need to find out; how much desiccant to use (very humid in Georgia), how frequently to change it, and where to get it at a reasonable price. Is...

Red Wine [ 5 Answers ]

After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Safe storing cheeze on the shelf? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it necessary for cheese to be refridgerated? Or is it okay for it to be shelfed?

I never opened this account! [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a 3cb report and transunion is showing a collection/charge off on my bureau from Alltell comm. posted 12/04. I never had an Alltell account! Here is what I think happened... in 1999 I had spoken with a sales rep from Alltel and asked him to give me a quote for the business I had at...

View more questions Search