Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redpondranch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
    Taxes on inherited house sold at a loss
    Five siblings, including myself, inherited my parent's house here in Texas. It was a mess, so we spent a year remodeling it, and it sold in February of this year. However, thanks to the depressed housing market, it sold at less than the amount it was valued at on the tax rolls. How do we report this on our tax return this year?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2011, 05:50 PM
    Did you get an appraisal at the time you inherited the property? That value plus the cost of repair is the cost basis. Not the value on the tax rolls.

You can't claim a loss if you sold for less than the cost basis.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Loss on the home property is not deductible. Your cost basis of the house is the sum of fair market value of the house on the date of inheritance and your cost of improvements. Expenses on repair and maintenance are not included in the cost of improvements.
    redpondranch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 08:07 PM
    I don't know that there was an appraisal done at the time we inherited it... I don't think so. I understood that the real estate agent should be able to provide us with fair market value at the time of inheritance. I understand that the cost of repairs isn't really a consideration, so I suppose that my real question should be "is the difference between fair market value and what we actually sold it for (a loss of about $40,000) deductible?"

Thanks again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2011, 03:20 AM
    Mukat answered that. You can (and need to) get a professional appraisal for the time of death.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2011, 05:18 AM
    Loss on the sale of home property and any personal property is not deductible. Also gain up to $250,000 from sale of qualified home property is not taxable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inherited 25% of a house in Fort Worth. Taxes on that portion when sold? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife inherited 25% of a house from her mother when she died. Her father continued to live in the house for several years and now needs to sell it and move to assited living. What are the tax implications for the 25% she will get a closing - ~ $30,000.

Loss Deduction: Can a loss from an inherited residence be deducted for taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Loss deduction: Can a loss from the sale of inherited property be deducted for federal taxes?

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 1 Answers ]

I see many other questions on this topic, but none to my exact situation. I am curious how this works. My sister and I jointly inherited a property of our late aunt in CT which was valued (and filed estate-wise) at $650,000. As the property required much work before the sale, we invested over...

Inherited Property Being Sold- Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and left property in trust for my mother, my brother and I. (40 years ago.) My mother dies in 1989, and the property transferred to my brother and I. The trust was dissolved in 1994. I have paid taxes on this property continuously. The property value has increased 10x. It...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 0 Answers ]

My siblings and I inherited our parents house after their death. It was in poor condition. We had it appraised for $132,000 and sold it for $125,000. Do we owe any federal income tax on it? All I have read so far indicates that we do not. But, how to we file, since the mortgage company that...

View more questions Search