Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seanmcfaul23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Moaning pipes
    When I flush the toilet in my bathroom, the pipe then makes a moaning sound. What would cause that?

Thanks,
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
    This "moaning sound", does it happen when the tank's filling? After it fills? When it flushes? Please give us some more details. Regards, Tom
    seanmcfaul23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
    It happens after it has flushed. Pretty soon after. It lasts for about 10 seconds. Only on one of the three toilets in the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2007, 09:52 AM
    A long time ago I had a call with symptoms like yours, Only this one kicked in at 3 in the AM and scared hell out of the customers. They thought their house was haunted. It was hard the track down because the water picked up the vibration and carried it throughout the house. We call that sympathetic viberation. Take your hand and run it around the flat part of the flapper. Are the edges a little wavey? If so you have found the culprit. What's happening is the water seeping past the flapper lowers the water level in the tank and the ballcock attempts to compensate. In time the water seeping out and the water coming in will balance out. The ballcock can't shut off and the sound you hear is the washer vibrating against its seat. The repair is simple. Replace the flapper. A few installation tips. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" of play when the flapper's seated. The water level should be 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when the tank is filled. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud moaning sound in pipes after flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I flush my toilet there is a very loud moaning, like a tuba sound, that comes from the pipes. It can make this sound for quite awhile after the toilet has finished flushing and has become filled. It is so loud it rattles the wall. What can I do to stop this?

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Moaning Noise [ 1 Answers ]

About three days ago, The pipes around my electric hot water heaters started making continuous moaning noises. I've heard similar sounds when there's air in the line, but have alleviated that by running water until the bubble comes through. That has not worked. The water heaters are about 6 years...

Old Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm redoing a bathroom in a 1960's vintage home. Wanted to replace the rusted pipes draining from the sink (in the wall) with pvc. Should I screw out the pipe or just pull. Do I have to knock out the wall and get a clear view or can I do the job without wall damage. When I install the PVC do I...

Toilet moaning [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe not the best title for a subject. My toilet is about 2 years old and is made by Toto. About a week ago it started to make noises like vibrating pipes or moaning. It only does it after it is done refilling. I shut off the water to the house and opened the lowest faucet to drain all the water...

View more questions Search