Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horror Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Dealing with a needy and insecure husband
    My husband and I have been married only 5 months and we are in counseling. He is driving me nuts; his neediness and insecurities are exhausting me. I do all I can to be a good wife and mother to his two boys. I take care of our home, cook, and never say no to his husbandly needs, even at 5 a.m.

I never go out at night with friends, and the only time I do go anywhere is to run to the store and even then, if I am not back exactly when I say I will be, he is upset. I don't know what to do any longer. He was not this way when we were dating. I do all the things his first wife did not do and am always there. He says I never spend time with him. He wants constant affection and conversation. Frankly, it is tiring me emotionally.

What do I do?
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Firstly stick with the counselling, it can take time to get results.
    Secondly, stop walking on eggshells because of his insecurities. If you are too tired for sex at 5am say so. If you want to see your friends in an evening do so. If you want to go out window shopping with the girls or out for a gossip do that. I don't mean become constantly selfish, but do strike a balance. You are letting him clip your wings and I can bet you it isn't making him feel any more secure is it? Don't try to compete with an ex-wife. An insecure spouse might use, 'you are so much better than my first wife because you do this for me,' type of thing - which is just being controlling. It is perfectly possible to be a great wife and mother and still have time for yourself, in fact the latter is a necessity if you are going to be able to continue doing so. Would you give the children everything they wanted just to keep them quiet?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2011, 11:49 AM
    How is the counseling going? Are these issues being addressed and discussed with the counselor acting as mediator?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are we MEn sensative, clingy, needy and insecure? [ 18 Answers ]

Why is it when I meet girls or talk to girls they end up rejecting me... They say at first that I'm attractive.. but after a while they stop calling... why do I find the need to get self-assurance from women.. why do I try to sound lovable, sensitive, understanding? Why Can I not bare rejection...

How do I leave my posessive, insecure, needy boyfriend? [ 8 Answers ]

We've been dating for almost 5 months now and things are just getting worse. When it started he was really sweet and was trying to be my friend as much as my boyfriend, which I though was a really good sign. But after about a month he started trying to get me to try to do physical things that I...

Clingy, needy, insecure boyfriend. BUT he's a nice guy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I'm really struggling with my boyfriend at the moment. Its not going to be easy to summarise the situation here, but I'll try and give enough info to help. A quick introduction - I'm 39yrs old, am a successful freelance consultant, don't have kids (but really want to) and am trying to find a...

Insecure husband [ 1 Answers ]

I've been married 7 years. I'm sooo tired of fixing his insecurities. He has had a terrible childhood and I've walked him through it all. I'm getting worn out! If he's not saying he doesn't deserve me, he's saying awful things to me. Ahhhh!

Insecure Husband [ 8 Answers ]

My husband won't allow me to have male friends. He says I am not to even talk to a man. Think this is controlling and wrong for him to be this way. Is he right? What should I do?

View more questions Search