Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spammaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
    How to get a fellow tenant evicted without property manager's help?
    Two of my fellow tenants are feuding (for months now), loudly, and the police have responded several times. While I would like to see both evicted, the one is worse than the other and there are concrete grounds for eviction in her case: several unlisted tenants (over and above the legal capasity of the space), theft of other apartment's electricity, theft of other tenants' property, damaging the locks on other apartment doors (with a screwdriver), damaging public space within the building (the back door to the building is now off the hinge) and noise. However, the company who manages the property is reticent, despite police involvement and property damage. The owner of the building is absentee. Under Kentucky law, is there anything a tenant can do to get another tenant evicted without landlord involvement?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spammaster View Post
    Two of my fellow tenants are feuding (for months now), loudly, and the police have responded several times. While I would like to see both evicted, the one is worse than the other and there are concrete grounds for eviction in her case: several unlisted tenants (over and above the legal capasity of the space), theft of other apartment's electricity, theft of other tenants' property, damaging the locks on other apartment doors (with a screwdriver), damaging public space within the building (the back door to the building is now off the hinge) and noise. However, the company who manages the property is reticent, despite police involvement and property damage. The owner of the building is absentee. Under Kentucky law, is there anything a tenant can do to get another tenant evicted without landlord involvement?
    You could ask for a power of attorney from the owner giving you authority to sue to evict these tenants in behalf of the owner. Understand that such a POA would not entitle you to go to court, a POA is not the same thing as an attorney at law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2011, 02:40 PM
    No, the owner is unlikely to grant you any powers over their property management.

If there is police involvement, why are these people being arrested? If the property management won't enforce the lease and the law, then file suit against them.
    spammaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
    New question: I know I'm going to have to move. How do I break my lease without having to pay a fee? I recently signed a renewal on my lease (in foolish hope things would level off somehow). However, the situation is deteriorating. I don't feel it's fair I should be penalized for trying to escape an intolerable situation I had no part in causing. Any legal way I can force my landlord's hand into letting me go?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
    You write a letter to the property manager and landlord stating that their failure to act against these tenants is creating an intolerable and uninhabitable condition. That, if the situation is not corrected within 30 days you will consider them in breach of the lease and you will make arrangements to vacate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wrongfully evicted tenant? [ 2 Answers ]

I leased a apt in Atlanta where I work a lot. I also have a home in Indiana. For the last 4 months I've been in Indiana but I've sent my rent and paid via money orders. Last week I get a call from friends who live in apts who say my things have been thrown out of my apt. As a result, all of my...

Evicted Tenant Personal Property - [ 5 Answers ]

Tenant will be locked out (legally) in a few days. What do we do if she leaves her personal property behind? How long are we required to hold it? We live in New Jersey

Can I get evicted from a separate tenant getting evicted [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and live in a house with 3 other people, one which is my brother and he has been late on rent.. the oowner wants to evict him.. would the landlord have the right to evict me just because I'm his brother

Tenant to be evicted has requested a hearing? [ 2 Answers ]

I own property in and live in SC. I hve a tenant who did not pay June's rent. I have only been able to physically speak with her once when she lied through her teeth and told me she would have the rent the following Monday (2 weeks late). When she did not make any attempts to contact me, I sent...

Evicted tenant in asutralia [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to ask if a land lord wants to evict a tenant, how much notice should the tenant be given in NSW Australia? My friend currently stays in campus and today, he was told to leave by tomorrow. I feel that it is very unfair to my friend. They should at least give some time to...

View more questions Search