Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Port_Ludlow_Bob Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 08:18 AM
    What size beam do I need to clear span 30 ft and support a live load floor?
    I am putting a storage loft in a shop/garage 30 wide by 36 feet long. The loft will be 12 feet by 30 feet across one end of the shop. I want work space under this loft so I am looking for a clear span, wall to wall of 30 feet. This beam will have to support a live load floor above it. Should the 2X12 floor joists be sit on top of the beam, or can I use hangers and place on the side of the beam? I will be using 1-1/4 inch plywood flooring on top of the floor joists.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2011, 09:10 AM
    You need to know what the maximum expected loads are going to be to calculate that figure.

Oct 29, 2011, 09:27 AM
    I am expecting 40 psf on the loft floor.

Oct 29, 2011, 09:55 AM
    I also know this will have to be an engineered beam, plywood on edge?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
    have to be an engineered beam
    That would be correct.

Why not consider using TJI joist spanning the 30 feet?

Visit this web site. Under Product Literature click on "TJI 110, 210, 230, 360, and 560 Joist Specifier's Guide ".
    http://www.ilevel.com/floors/f_TJI_joists.aspx

Study charts. I have not really studied the charts but it looks like a TJI 360 or 560 on 16" center would meet your needs.

Why 1 1/4" flooring? Are you going to put a 800 lb safe up there to hold all your money?

Oct 30, 2011, 08:54 AM
    The supporting beam will go wall to wall across one end of the shop, spanning the 30 ft. The floor joist will go from the beam to the wall at the end of the shop spaning only 12 ft. These joist will be 16 inches on center 2X12's. The reason for the 1-1/4 inch floor is the storage that will be in the loft, car parts, engines transmissions being the heavest. Gouges are to be expected from them. There will be a jib crane that will hoist these parts up and down. The safe with the money will be on the concrete floor under the loft. :)

The question is about this supporting beam that crosses the width of the shop, a full 30ft. I don't want a supporting post, just a clear span. Will the web site mentioned above have such information? I will go look anyway.

thanks for your answers. Bob
    desert_fox11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Did you ever get the answer to this question? I'm adding a small storage loft in my garage spanning 26' x 6.5' I can't find an answer to the question of what size beam to install stretching that 26' span unsupported.
    pd1897 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2015, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by desert_fox11 View Post
    Did you ever get the answer to this question? I'm adding a small storage loft in my garage spanning 26' x 6.5' I can't find an answer to the question of what size beam to install stretching that 26' span unsupported.
    Hello,

I just read your posts about a 30 span from 2012. I am doing the same and wonder how/if you ever did yours and how it worked out?

Paul

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size laminated beam do I need to span 20' for my basement beam? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a one story ranch and want to eliminate the columns in a section of my basement. The beam will need to support the 2x8 floor joists which are 12' 6" from column to wall. What size beam will I need?

I beam size to carry a 250 ton load. Its 5 feet long and the load is in the middle [ 3 Answers ]

The 250 ton load is being applied to the center of a 2" thick plate 60" long and 48" wide by a hydraulic cylinder. The 2" plate has a 12" hole in the middle. I want to weld two I beams lengthwise along the 2" plate (one on each side) with bracing going across between the two I beams. The cylinder...

I beam size to carry a 250 ton load. Its five feet long and the load is in the middle [ 0 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply ebaines. The 2" plate is part of a support base for a casing jack which is used to pull pipe out of the ground. The hole is where the pipe comes up through the base.The hydraulic cylinder that is used to pull the pipe is actualy a hollow cylinder that sits over the hole...

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

What size lam beam header is needed to clear span a 30 feet? [ 2 Answers ]

The beam is needed in a 30x40 garage. We are using trusses that are speced to clear span 40 feet but want the extra support in the center.

View more questions Search