Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knightscout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference?
    I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own.

Decided to make a few changes by running 3 new 20 Amp dedicated circuits to service a garbage disposer, a microwave, and a utility room with a washer/dryer (gas) - all are currently on shared circuits. I was surprised when I opened my main service panel and found that neutral and ground wires from existing circuits are interchangeably attached to either the neutral or the ground bus. In many cases both the ground and the neutral from a respective circuit are attached to one or the other of the buses under under the same screw.

I have read that the ground and the neutral bus are generally bonded within the main service panel. Does this mean that there is really no difference between the ground and neutral bus within a main service panel? If I add circuits can I simply connect the hot to the breaker and both the white and bare copper ground to one or both of the neutral/ground bus?

I expected things to be far more orderly.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 03:01 AM
    The neutral and ground are connected together in a main panel ONLY if the Main Breaker is in that panel. There can be a main panel with the Main Breaker elsewhere,such as outdoors, in this case the neutral and ground is noit connected, or "bonded" together in the panel.

The reason is that wherever the Main Service Disconnect is located is where the Neutral is grounded with the ground wire that goes to ground rod(s) or city water.

Now the two wires under one screw may need to be changed so that there is only one wire per screw. Look on the panel dor for a lable that explains if the ports on the neutral/ground bars are rated for one or more wires.
    thesavo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 07:45 AM
    That really didn't answer the Original; Posters question. They want to know, given that this panel is already electrically bonding the ground and neutrals of the branch circuits; is it a violation of the NEC for the respective circuits to have their ground and neutral conductors terminating on GND and neutral buses indiscriminately. IE. There is no clearly defined Neutral or Ground bus.
    Theswagg01 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 09:56 AM

Of all the electrical work I have come across only the main breaker box has the two bonded and only one wire per screw. Also, in my area at least, the inspector wants only neutral (white) on one side and bare ground on the other to prove all the circuit connections, even though they are still connected with either a connector beam or just a green bond bolt.
    Ever take a look at your drop power coming in to your house? The bare one coming in becomes the neutral and is grounded (usually from the meter box) outside the house/bldg as well before it goes into the main breaker box where is is bonded to the neutral bar. Hope this helps some.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jun 1, 2010, 03:30 PM
    Just a heads up to the new guys, please read the OP date--the original post is almost three and a half years old.
    djbigd1352 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
    A meter is more than 10' from the panel, should you ground the neutral or separate the ground & neutral,& where in the code do you find that
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
    It is not that easy to find it, besides. It depends on where the Main Service Disconnecting Means is located.

Sounds like the issue is if the meter is ten feet or more away from the meter, is when the Main needs to be located at the meter, and then a separate equipment ground is needed from Main to panel.

Ten foot happens to be the popular unwritten rule of max distance from meter to panel, then the Main must be at the meter, then the neutral and ground must be separated at the panel.

Does this sound like your situation?

Who told you about the 10 foot?
    djbigd1352 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 04:53 PM
    It's in the code 4 MD,DC & Va
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2011, 02:42 AM
    That is a local code to quantify the distance. The National Electric Code states the Main shall be immediately as the service entrance feeder enters the home.

To read the actual code in those states you will need to consult with the state electrical inspector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Subpanel or main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I want to put a subpanel in my shop, and was wondering if a main service panel that they sell at say Home Depot is the same thing as a subpanel? I have a 200 amp service to my house, and want to put a 100 amp subpanel in my shop. Does the term "subpanel" just mean that it is wired off the...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Main Service Panel needs [ 9 Answers ]

I ran across this site accidentally today and found someone who had many of the same issues I need help with. Most of my questions were answered reading the forum however I have one more, using the following information I am hoping someone can help. The existing house is apx. 2300 sq ft w/a 200...

How do I relocate a main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to move my main service panel about 20 feet. All of the branch feeder wires need to be longer to reach the new box. How do I extend them?

View more questions Search