Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    westwood379 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 03:31 PM
    Free plumbing questions and answers
    Smell from pipes after using sinks and washing machine can not find any leaks the smell comes and goes. Smell is in kitchen and laundry room which is below kitchen
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 04:15 PM

How cold is it in your area. If below freezing, your vents exiting the roof may have frozen shut causing the fixture traps to siphon, which will allow sewer gas to enter the home.
    Ranchhand1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 06:01 PM
    O.K... SO if I take a hose and stick it down the vent on the roof to clear any obstructions, will that help or what?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 06:51 PM
    I guess Ranchhand wanted your attention.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
    There can be many, many causes for sewer gas entering the home. I gave one cause, but that was back in 2010 during the winter when frozen vents can cause sewer gas. Apparently you don't have this problem. Im still not sure why you posted on a year old post, but I have read some of your other post, and It appears you have a faulty wax ring under the toilet. I would start there. One step at a time with sewer smells, as they can be one of the hardest things for a plumber to locate. If it was easy, Im sure you would see all kinds of advertising for " sewer gas smells locating" companys, but Ive never seen an add for that. It really is very difficult to locate sewer smells in person, let alone over the web. So just bear with us, and we will do our best to help. Start with the wax ring on the toilet, and if the smell still is there, come on back and we will see what we can come up with.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Do you have a floor drain in the laundry room? Back to you, Tom
    dkmdorothy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
    My bathroom overflow whenever water runs from faucet or any other bathroom is flushed. It also makes a bubbling sound. What's the problem and what can I do? Thank you.
    jimbo49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
    I installed a delta faucet in my kitchen. The water came out fine. Now it is down to a trickle. I replaced both valves but still the same problem. I cleaned the filter also.

JIm
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
    Hi jimbo and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com You are responding to a 2 year old dead thread so I gave you one of your own. Please check the date before you post. Thanks,
    I replaced both valves
    You replaced the angle stops?
    I cleaned the filter also.
    Do you mean the aerator screens?
    Sounds like you disturbed some mineral buildup on the pipe walls and now it's blocking the inlet ports of the internal parts.
    Shut the water off and open up the valve check and clean out any trash you may find. Now place a pan over the valve and turn the water on for a moment to flush out the supplies. Reassemble and test. Good luck, Tom
    galipma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
    My 2nd story toilet will not flush very well when someone goes #2 I have replaced the toilet thinking because it was an older one however it has not helped. On the main floor the toilet works pretty well however it does clog at least twice a month. To give you more faxes I have five kids I myself have tried everything to duplicate the issue from throwing extra toilet paper down the toilet or even a half flush it has only happened to me once other than that I have to go up and unclog the toilet at least twice a week please help??
    deneesdonte Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 09:55 AM
    My plumber snaked my kitchen sink because it was stopped up when he pulled the snake out it had grass on it so he snaked again and checked outside he saw the snake coming through a pipe on the roof can u tell me what this means or would I need to do? Also just to share the sinked stopped up about a year ago as well we founf there was a open drain behind the wall in the basement a plumber came and capped the drain off could this have anything to do with it at all ?

Apr 17, 2013, 04:54 PM
    checked outside he saw the snake coming through a pipe on the roof
    That some times happens, surely he pulled the snake out and tried again. A snake sometimes goes up the vent pipe rather than down the drain pipe. When that happens you pull it out and try again. Eventually it goes down rather than up. If you use a drop head it doesn't happen very often.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 05:02 PM
    I would snake the drain via the roof vent. Basically, get up on the roof and snake from the vent that the snake came out of.
    EricaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 09:13 PM
    "We installed a tile shower drain and enclosed it in concrete-unfortunately we needed an acrylic drain that requires a different straining top-is there a way to change the top of the drain or covert it?-without having to chisel or break the concrete to remove it"
    vicki lybarger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 08:36 AM
    The water from the garbage disposal is backing up into the sink o the other sidle.
    It began when the dishwasher was working and has continued.

Aug 6, 2013, 01:08 PM
    You have a partially blocked drain line. Remove trap and snake the line.
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Okay, this is a lot of piggybacks on an old thread. Everybody, please ask your own question in a new thread. You will get many more views and most likely many more answers in this way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Free answers to physic questions [ 3 Answers ]

A hang glider n and its piolt have a total mass equal to 120kg. While executing a 360 degree turn, the glider moves in a ciricle with 8-m radius the glider speed is 10 m/s what is the net force of the hanging glider .

Free plumbing answers [ 5 Answers ]

I have an 800’ well with a non pressurized tank and a 1 horse jet pump the tank is full to the top and the air control valve seams to be working there is no blockage in the 1/8” lines on the pressure switch or the air control valve. But the pump starts as soon as the water is turned on and runs a...

Free plumbing questions [ 8 Answers ]

Do all water haters have a magnesium rod in them

Free algebra 2 answers [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I'm Performing Operations with Complex Numbers and its prety confusing to me I have this equation and its somthin to have to do with imaginary numbers my equation is (6-3i) + (5+4i)

View more questions Search