Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boyzee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
    96 toyota tercel won't start sometimes?
    Just started doing this. Sometimes it starts and other times it takes 15-20 times. No sound when it don't start like clicking or anything. All the lights are working, new battery & cables. I don't know anything about cars so I need to know what to try next. I take care of my mother and I'm on a limited budget so I can't afford to just take it to a shop. Someone please help guide me what to do next.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 01:14 PM
    . Replace the spark plugs (NGK only), if they have not been changed in the last 3 years.

. Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM), if the problem persists. I recommend replacing this problematic component every 120,000 or 10 years, whichever comes first. Shop online for the best price, since they are expensive. An alternative is to go salvage. Should be easy to replace.

Oct 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Where is the (ICM) located, car had tune-up in May so spark plugs should be fine. Was reading about the celenoid on the starter/ or a bad starter itself/ conections ?( sorry about spelling ) Could any of these cause this to happen too? Thanks in advance GreaseMonkey!!
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
    If the engine cranks, the starter motor is fine. I thought you were describing a "crank but won't start situation." You'll need to see what the ICM looks like and locate it on your Tercel.

Oct 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
    When it doesn't start... doesn't crank or anything
    When I turn the key it does nothing / doesn't crank or anything... No sound or anything. If I keep on turning the key off and on 15 or 20 times it will finally start with no problems.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 01:47 PM
    If this is a car your starter is going/gone.

Oct 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
    When I turn the key it does nothing / doesn't crank or anything... No sound or anything. If I keep on turning the key off and on 15 or 20 times it will finally start with no problems.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 04:30 PM
    That's a different story completely. Instead, follow the steps below for a "Car (Starter Motor) that Won't Crank:"

. Ensure the battery is fully charged, before diagnosing starter problems.
    . Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter.
    . Ensure the gearshift is in Neutral or Park (automatic transmission), or the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission), if the starter motor does not turn at all when the ignition switch is turned to Start.

1. If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.

2. Disconnecting the negative battery cable first, clean battery terminals and cable connections with a battery terminal brush, No. 240 abrasive cloth, or steel wool. Also, check the battery ground cable connection to the body and engine. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished.

3. While the negative battery cable is disconnected, clean starter motor and starter solenoid connections. Apply silicone dielectric grease, when finished. Make sure all connections are secure. When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out. Reconnect the negative battery terminal last.

4. If the starter motor spins but the engine is not cranking, the overrunning clutch in the starter motor is slipping and the starter motor must be replaced. Also, the ring gear on the flywheel or drive plate may be worn.

5. If the solenoid plunger cannot be heard when the switch is actuated, the battery is bad, the fusible link is burned (circuit is open), or the solenoid is defective.

6. In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

7. If the starter motor cranks the engine slowly, ensure the battery is fully charged and all terminal connections are clean and tight. Then, check connections at the starter solenoid and battery ground. The engine will also crank slowly, if it's partially seized or has the wrong viscosity oil in it. Synthetic engine oil allows starter motors to turn the engine over easier and faster, thus promoting starting and reducing battery drain.

It sounds like there's a problem with the ignition switch, to me. Check/replace the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting. If the problem persists, you likely need a new starter motor.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
    . Ignition switch.

. Starter motor/solenoid.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2011, 07:10 PM
    Just by chance , if you look at my avatar, does it have one of those on the front end?

Oct 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Yes, 96 Toyota Tercel Kitch428, took it this morning to Auto Zone where they tested the starter, alternator, battery and all checked out fine. Started fine this morning, over and over. Just went on a short trip and got back in and tried and nothing once again. Sooooo Frustrating. Any help?

Oct 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Yes, 96 Toyota Tercel , took it this morning to Auto Zone where they tested the starter, alternator, battery and all checked out fine. Started fine this morning, over and over. Just went on a short trip and got back in and tried and nothing once again. Sooooo Frustrating. Any help?
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Intermittent ignition switch failure?
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Starter solenoid contacts are worn. Recommend a new reman starter.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
    My experience has always been to "take with a grain of salt" auto parts store tests of batteries, starters, alternators, and Ignition Control Modules. Many times, they will lead you in the wrong direction, which is what I think happened to you. My diagnosis was that the problem was with the ignition switch or starter motor. I've seen some extremely misleading tests performed at auto parts stores that lead the customer to believe parts were fine when they were should have been thrown out.

kitch428 is a Toyota trained technician. If he tells you this is the problem, you can rely on his judgment. My advise, then, is to buy a genuine Toyota remanufactured starter, not aftermarket. This is the experience of my father, who will only own Toyota cars and trucks. He keeps them a long time.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
    Yes, what AZ did was check the cranking amperage while it was working fine.
    The starter motor, windings, brushes, etc.. May be fine, it's what makes the starter "fire up" when the key is turned that turns out to be your problem.
    Get an O.E.M. starter. You won't have anymore of those "soooo frustrating" moments anymore.
    MelissaStraugh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2013, 08:16 AM
    It is most likely not the starter. I have a Toyota Tercel 97 and have been having the same problem. My boyfriend and I worked on my car all day yesterday and I think we came to the bottom of it. When we were about to give up, I decided to try shifting in all gears while holding the key to start. When I shifted to reverse, it came on. We are deciding that it might have something to do with the sensor position of shifter. We thought it was the starter too, then took it to Autozone and they tested it on their bench. Passed the test no problem. And remember this, if it were your starter, it wouldn't start At ALL, and you're saying it starts sometimes, which is the same problem I've had. Plus, it is very rare for starters to go out on these cars. There is a good chance it is not your starter. Is it a manual or automatic?

If this helps, we also checked all fuses of starter relay, even though none of them were bad, maybe yours are! Hope it helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 Toyota Tercel will not start. I have check the battery connection. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Toyota Tercel it will not start. I have check the battery connection it good. The panel lights come on, but engine will not turn over (start). Would this be the starter problem.

Where starter is on 92 toyota tercel [ 2 Answers ]

Want to know where the starter is on 92 toyota tercel

92 Toyota Tercel won't idle down [ 1 Answers ]

My 92 tercel will not idle down from a fast idle. The car still runs well at speed (no misfiring,stumbling,surging), just nice and smooth. This problem just happened for no reason that I can see. Help please

Toyota Tercel start up problems [ 2 Answers ]

My 96 Tercel has an occasional start up problem. As I turn the key to start it, there is a momentary sound "jhing"... and then nothing happens. The panel lights remain ON. I have to try several times before it starts. I have had this problem 3 times over the last 2 weeks. The engine is in good...

View more questions Search