Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xrw600 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 06:21 PM
    Can you transfer your probation from one state while being in the other?
    I am on probation in California, and recently, while visiting in Nebraska, was given a job offer and also found a very affordable place to live. I'm familiar with the transfer process as I was originally sentenced in Wyoming and transferred to California. That process required me to remain in wy until it was approved. But my question is, is it possible to stay in Nebraska and work so I can have my home settled in to move my wife and kids out here during the trasfer process? Instead of having to go back to California and wait it out? I ask because our current situation in California is that we are homeless living with a relative and I cann
    Ot find good work out here.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 06:28 PM
    You need to contact your PO in California and discuss this new scenerio with them asap. Also you need to contact the local PO office and see if they can help you transfer to their county asap. Otherwise if you don't do this you will have to go back to California as you will be out of the state without permission after your permission has elapsed and you will be violated for that. Best to contact everyone asap on this as the clock is ticking. The fact you were homeless and jobless in California and now have a job and a home there should help speed up the process of getting the probation transferred. But don't be surprised if California wants you back in person before too long. Just be patient and keep on them all the time. The local PO people may be able to help you speed things along so don't count them out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
    Your current PO could give you temp permission to work in the new state, but unless he does, you just can't stay, Homeless is still better than a home in jail.

I also hope and assume you got permission to "visit" the other state, since you can't just go visit without permission

Oct 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
    Yes I have a travel pass that's good for another two weeks. So I'm planning on telling my po about this asap, I just wanted to know what to expect and if there's any possibility I could stay longer. Also, as stated above, tell me more about a work permit. Ive never heard of that. Could it be possible to obtain that for the duration of time it will take for a transfer to process. I know the process takes 45-90 days and I don't know that we can make it that long in cali in our current situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 06:46 PM
    You PO can give permission for travel, some truck drivers over the road may be on probation, people who do construction and have to travel with the jobs and more.

If your PO allows you to go ( but may require a few trips back but that may just be something you have to deal with)

Your PO can do a lot if they are willing to work with you

Oct 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
    That's great news. My po has always been willing to help me. In fac the only time I have to see her is when I need a travel permit. And she has never turned me down. I think she will be very understanding of my circumstances and more focused on the fact that I'm trying to make responsible choices for myself and my family. Thank you all for your help, I feel much more positive about all this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Juvenile probation transfer from state to state [ 10 Answers ]

My mother would like me to take custody of my 13 year old brother who is in dss custody and on juvenile probation how do we accomplish this? He is in New York I live in Pennsylvania both my mother and I agree to this decision but want to do this the right way

How to transfer probation to another state [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband is currently in jail and due to be released in the next week. He will have his first probation visit. We want to move out of state. Will he be giving a little time to find a job? :rolleyes:

How can I transfer my probation to a different state? [ 1 Answers ]

It is a misdemeanor probation I live in Tennessee I need it transferred to el paso Texas I have a 1500 dollar fine But the only way I am going to get that paid off by April is if I move to Texas Do you think my po will let me transfer?:confused:

Probation transfer to another state [ 1 Answers ]

I want to move to California. I am on probation so I would need to transfer from Texas to California. How do I do that and how long would it take?

How to transfer probation to another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a drug charge that I am on the thing where if you go through probabtion successfully they take the charge off your record. I am clean and doing the right things going to school full time, working, I live in MI. my mother who is ill and needs help day by day has just moved to Florida...

View more questions Search