Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caray0127 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Want to have lap band surgery and cant afford it.
    I have suffered with diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid problems and a number of other health issues. Many doctors have told me that weight lost well improve my quality of life. I tried all types of diets, I really have to be careful what I use due to side affects of my other meds. My insurances won't pay. I don't know what to do? Have any info on a way to help me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2009, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by caray0127 View Post
    I have suffered with diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid problems and a number of other health issues. Many doctors have told me that weight lost well improve my quality of life. I tried all types of diets, I really have to be careful what i use due to side affects of my other meds. My insurances wont pay. I dont know what to do? Have any info on a way to help me?
    Yes, it's a given, weight loss will give you more quality of life seeing as your medical issues are high blood pressure and diabetes. Which diabetes are you, type 1 or 2 ?

If you are eating the way you should be while being a diabetic, your weight should be fairly controlled, but if it is not, you are not eating properly. Being active helps. Walking lowers blood pressure and helps you metabolize your food, so its good for diabetes as well.

If you are dieting, and it is not working,then you are not doing it properly. Your have to balance everything out. Cut out all fatty foods, start reading labels, no carbs, etc. Make a routine from breakfast on and stick to it along with proper activity. Your goal will be reached through discipline and determination. Keep a diary of what you eat and what activity you are pursuing throughout the day. Look at it and see what you are doing wrong as you weight yourself. Eventually you will find a happy medium.

Tick
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 02:03 PM

It's not normally something I recommend, but a very low calorie, high protein diet, medically supervised if necessary, will bring down your weight as much as a lap band will, and without the pain, expense and side effects.

Lap bands only work by restricting the amount you eat. If you can do the same thing without the surgery, you'll get the same results. And more, you'll get better food habits. I know of several people who had a band or bypass, lost weight, then put it back on again by eating lots of small portions of very high calorie food.

Can you post what you eat? And what your normal exercise routine is?
    DJR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 09:56 PM
    I have noticed a lot of people like to give advice, but will not answer your question. I too have the same problems as you, have gained 100 lbs, since diagnosed with diabetes, most due to inactivity and side affects from all the medicines, I was told this by my Dr. who unlike so many others actually went to medical school and knows the problems associated with this illness. Unfortunately my insurance co will not pay either, thanks Blue Cross they would rather pay all the money for medication and medical problems which come with this. Makes no sense, but you have to think like an insurance co. they are here to make money, not help you. They could care less, they hope you either die, or switch insurance co. and just go away. I would like to ask anyone who has the answer... what can we do if the surgery will help get rid of these problems , but insurance won't pay and monthly payments are too much and the cash price is over forty thousand up front. I am fifty yrs old. Three Dr wrote to the ins co and said, I will likely be dead in ten yrs without surgery, I have five kids, four at home they will need to go on public aid. When I die. I have worked every day from 15 yrs to now without ever asking for help. Now I need it and can't get it. Though I do know people that had this surgery just because they were obese and the state paid for it. Doesn't make sense to me... AGAIN, does anyone know how to get the surgery if one cannot afford it? Thank you for any help at all!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 02:01 AM

Can I point out again, that it is not always the best answer? If you have the surgery, and it dosen't work, you have nowhere to go. There is a high rate of failure and side effects from the operation alone, and something that is mentioned less often, it only works if you are prepared to work at it.

I personally know people who had the op, lost some weight, but then got the hang of pureeing their food so they could continue to eat junk anyway. They've put the weight back on, but now they have nowhere go to. They are on medication for life, and without even being able to eat a meal.

If you can control your weight with diet and exercise (and I'm not saying it's easy, it's not), you will improve your health overall, and without the side-effects.

Who is going to look after your children while you are having the op and recovering from it?
    jd626 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 09:43 AM
    Wow. I'm sure the people interested in the surgery are well aware that a strict diet and tons of exercise would improve their health. People considering lap band or bypass are not retarded. Someone willing to have a surgery like that has most likely tried a billion diets and nothing has worked! I personally went on weight watchers a while back and lost 15 pounds... continued working the program and didn't lose a pound after that.. I was doing everything I was suppose to and my body just would drop the weight. Anyway, the people inquiring about how to get the surgery when they can afford the cost know what the risks are and have made this decision for themsels. So... Eileen, I really don't thing either of these people care to hear your opinion again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts but you're pushing. Stop pushing.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jd626 View Post
    Wow. I'm sure the people interested in the surgery are well aware that a strict diet and tons of exercise would improve their health. People concidering lap band or bypass are not retarded. Someone willing to have a surgery like that has most likely tried a billion diets and nothing has worked! I personally went on weight watchers a while back and lost 15 pounds...continued working the program and dint lose a pound after that..i was doing everything i was suppose to and my body just would drop the weight. Anyways, the people inquiring about how to get the surgery when they can afford the cost know what the risks are and have made this decision for themsels. so...Eileen, I really dont thing either of these people care to hear your opinion again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts but you're pushing. Stop pushing.
    I don't think Eileen is calling anyone retarded, jd626; in fact she is offering some good advice that lap surgery is not always the best answer. There are downsides to every radical procedure and I am sure there are many to lap surgery. Sure, we only hear success stories.

Myself being a type 2 diabetic and a health professional agree that, and I can't stress this enough, lap surgery is not always the way for diabetics because of the nature of their health problems that diabetes generates. Sure I am worried about my health in years in to come, I am 69 now, have had type 2 for four years and my diabetes is controlled because I maintain a certain amount of physical activity and eat healthy and wisely. As I pointed out in my first post, read labels on food containers, count your carbs and calories, it takes discipline and perseverance but, you know, my friend, it pays off in the long run.

Lap surgery, okay, if you don't want to work at it to stay healthy and lose weight the correct way, and every day feel good that you have done something right for a change then go for it, but for the original poster don't have an answer for this expensive surgery if there is no health insurance to cover it

Tick
    jd626 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
    I completely agree that eating healthy and being active is always going to be the best choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Lap band surgery [ 1 Answers ]

Has any one had the lap band surgery? I am interested in getting it, I do have high blood pressure and sleep apnea and found out that my medicare and medicaid will pay for it but only if I have theses health problems and well as my mbi being 38, please help if you have had a lap band and if it...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Can't afford Car. Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a used 2006 Pontiac G6 because I'm an idiot. Anyway, my living situation has once again changed and I have to find a new place. I am not going to be able to afford my car payment and insurance. I owe around $15,000 currently on the car. What steps do I need to take now that I...

I can't afford it,what can I do. [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I was engaged but the guy left me cold and dry .I am now stuck with a house payment that I can not afford ,I can only afford half of it and the rest goes to my bills.I have lived in this house for about 5 months now and April was the first month that it has not been paid yet.I don't want...

View more questions Search