Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wvcarol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Dirty well water
    We are on a well system. We have a water softner. Right now the cold water is coming out of the spicket brown. The hot water is not as bad, however, black water comes out in spurts. Is this a problem or something that works out? We have had occasional brown water but it usually clears up.

Thanks carol
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Hi Carol,

Sounds like your pump is sucking up soil. You need a well man to check it out. If left alone this will clog up your faucets. It could be your sand point has developed a split that's letting in the dirt. In the mean time it's building up on the floor of your heater. Your heater MUST be flushed to keep it clear.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it
    ForPeteSake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 05:34 PM

Well water gets dirty when large quantities used, what could be the problem?
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ForPeteSake View Post
    Well water gets dirty when large quantities used, what could be the problem?

Sorry but that well water has been setting there since 2006. Lol
    water_doctor Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2009, 10:38 AM

I know this is an old question, and again I feel bad that I wasn't on here before to put in my two cents. You probably have had your water tested, correct? How much iron did it say you have? What other minerals were present? It's crazy how different minerals can react with pipes to create a bunch of funky colors or water.

So you either need to fix the pump so that it is not pulling up stuff from the ground, or you need to get a filtration system that will block those minerals from coming into your house.
    I would try both.
    degottschall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 11:03 AM
    I thought this might be helpful to some. Although rare but this was the cituation. Living in west central Texas we have shallow 60-80 foot wells. My neighbor had a new 1/2 hp submergable pump installed after a couple weeks her water turned very dirty. After pulling the pump, I found that the pump"s intrigal swing check valve had little gravel pieces holding it open allowing the 60ft of water enter back into the well thus dropping the pressure making the pump cycle often thus keeping water stirred up and some what warm. I manually cleaned out the gravel then I installed an aftermarket check valve at the pump gave it 24 hr to settle. Now the water is clear again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirty skin [ 17 Answers ]

This is very embarrassing! I have skin that is much darker than my normal complection. It is unfortunately due to carlessness from my youth. I scrub really hard but I can't seem to get rid of it. Please help. Please note that I can't afford expensive creams and laser treatments. How can I get rid...

Rusty or dirty water [ 5 Answers ]

If you been following my story, I wanted to ask on a separate post about something else. Each time I turn on the bath faucet a spurt of rusty/dirty water comes up before the water clears again. This is not a lot but it has been happening every time ever since I replaced this faucet. What could...

Dirty water backs up in shower [ 1 Answers ]

Every now and then dirty, black water backs up from my shower drain and sits still for a few hours and then drains back out, the toilet in the same bathroom also sometimes has no water in the bowl. Yesterday the sink in my other bathroom was clogged and I tried Drano but the water did not even...

Dirty Water Softener [ 2 Answers ]

Whoever installed the water softener in my house (done with the previous owner) obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen because they installed the sediment filter AFTER the water softener (I'm on a dug well with quite a bit of sediment coming through the pipes). Needless to say my water...

Talking Dirty?? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this may sound retarded but yea, what do guys want to hear?  Like what can a girl say that will "turn a guy on"  ?? I don't want him to think that I'm stupid either, so can you please help me and be serious.  I looked on the internet but I really couldn't find anything to help!!

View more questions Search